• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polk PA4A remote commander re location to prevent unit from failing

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The location of the commander/ rear remote is in a bad spot that gets pounded by water and submerged ASA / Polk has given Yamaha a 3 year warranty but after that's up your on your own. I called ASA and they have given me an RGA to send the unit back my knob turns but the push button operation is not working and a bunch of metal came out when the knob was forced to turn so the seal is comprised allowing moisture in to fog the screen. It will eventually fail completely, rather than bring it in for warranty I opted to remove it myself I reached in from the cup holder it was difficult working blind. The nut is a 7mm lock nut you need a very sensitive ratchet drive with a deep well socket the first nut you can feel the second one is a completely blind reach , tie a string to the socket because you will drop it . The second nut just needs to be loosened and you can shift the commander over and out . Now that I'm thinking about it maybe the first nut only needed to be loosened there is a lot of threads and you can only get a 1/4 turn

Not wanting to replace the commander in the stock location I looked into the optional remote controls they are around $80-$120 when searching for vendors Jensen marine was coming up. There is some rebranding going on ASA/ Polk /Jensen , Yes good old cheap Jensen they have the MARC200 on amazon for $19 includes the extension cord. I hooked it up and it works

https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-Marine-MARC200-Remote-Control/dp/B071YLZ68C

you will need this as well

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EVIL5X8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The push buttons are more reliable on marine grade products my 2005 stock remote was still working when sold this year not bad for 13 years of salt water use.

looking into the directions it turns out Polk has an app called Ultra marine for android and iphone it gives you control of volume, bass, treble, balance fader , forward reverse pause all on one screen song playing

Friday, October 26, 2018.jpg

PA4A - pa4a_owners_manual (2) (2).jpg

20181024_121800_1540418020174_resized.jpg

this is a mock up I will use a stainless steel plate that will be siliconed and screwed

20181024_123344_1540418021568_resized.jpg

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like a good game plan. I lost my rear volume knob the second time out. I got a replacement and siliconed it on. I can’t even read the rear unit when I’m in the water or on the deck.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nice! I was thinking of just replacing my stereo and going with a Fusion and forgetting the Connext screen for audio. I was going to just put another table mount in place of the remote back there lol

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The table mount is just slightly smaller than the cut out and mounting it would be a project if it was going to ever hold the table. Does the fusion have something that can communicate with the can bus? I’m not really sure how they work our Polk system has an add on piece that allows the connext unit to control it. I did look at the fusion and it has the same part but does yamaha calibrate it to work or is it universal?

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
That’s a good question. I may have to call and ask, what is the actual part? Haha so when I call I somewhat know what I’m talking about lol

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
copied some info

NMEA 2000 is a set of marine electronics standards enabling a 'multi-talk/multi-listen' network. This means that there can be different manufacturers' devices on a vessel sending and receiving data simultaneously.

This is an open network based on Controller Area Network. The network controls electronics, electrical, and engine data all on the same network. One advantage of NMEA 2000 is that data and power can both be carried on one cable.

The data is transferred at 250 kilobytes a second which is fifty times faster than it is with NMEA 0183. NMEA 2000 incorporates standard connectors and cables for use among all manufacturers adhering to this standard. This makes NMEA 2000 a "Plug and Play" system with a real time data stream.

For more information on NMEA 2000, visit NMEA's website at www.nmea.org.

DJMattyT

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you!

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The table mount is just slightly smaller than the cut out and mounting it would be a project if it was going to ever hold the table. Does the fusion have something that can communicate with the can bus? I’m not really sure how they work our Polk system has an add on piece that allows the connext unit to control it. I did look at the fusion and it has the same part but does yamaha calibrate it to work or is it universal?
It aint that hard to do. 20190322_121633.jpg

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It aint that hard to do. View attachment 92659
Nice job what was the process to get the table mount to cover the hole just simply drill holes and attach ? My hole seemed to be larger than the table mount . Did you attach some backing material then fill the hole

Drift Away

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nice job what was the process to get the table mount to cover the hole just simply drill holes and attach ? My hole seemed to be larger than the table mount . Did you attach some backing material then fill the hole
Yes. I used a strip of Aluminum to fill in the bottom 2 holes. I drilled 2 holes in the top of the boat and had a use that plate cause the other 2 holes in it up in the middle where the radio used to be.

Relentless

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi, I came across the thread here, obviously having the same problem. Yesterday I was installing some swim deck lights and accidentally unplugged it. I could not find the main plug now.. Seems like it dropped somewhere. Crazy thing is... . I thought now my radio isn't gonna work at all....but nope Everything thing is fine. So that's just a remote, correct... But yet it's the only way to delete bluetooth devices.. If you fill up your available devices, you can only delete them through the commander. Can you do that on the order remotes too. Like the Jensen or the polk PRC200BC.

MY other question is... Even if it does or doesn't and I just want to replace it or Asa replaces it.... Can I plug it directly to where the radio main unit is. I have the 2017 ar240. It located on the shelf behind the helm console. Thank you for your help.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The wire fell down you can retrieve it by reaching down possibly use a hanger or by the battery look up behind the seat for the remote wire and use a snake to feed it through

relocate the remote

20190703_091748_1562176984702_resized.jpg

20190703_120511_1562176984069_resized.jpg