• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pontoons

Epsmith19

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Other
My inlaws have expressed interest in a pontoon. I expect that prices are just as crazy as they have been w/ jets but honestly don't have the base knowledge to know for sure. Anyone track the pontoon market?

If they want one right now then yes the prices are still going to be high ? if they wait another month or towards the end of the season prices will probably come down, but I wouldn’t hold my breath….

Yeah I figured that pontoons wouldn't be immune to price bubble but have never seriously priced them so wasn't sure

Good friend is buying one. I think paid sticker but put down deposit in April/May - boat is here but still waiting on the motor.

Yes, prices are crazy high for new pontoons. I had a friend just buy one. I think he paid MSRP + shipping + dealer prep. There was no negotiating on anything.

Then he had to pay for the outboard separately (apparently its common to price these separate from the boat), and then the trailer too. Out the door I think he ended up with a final bill that was +50% higher than the "advertised" price of just the boat itself because of all of the things not included.

So long as the person buying is fully aware that they are buying at the peak of the peak of the market and it is not an investment in any way, then go for it.

All depends on what they plan to do with it and where are they taking it. I have mine on order and should get it late Aug or early Sep. We gou out to the islands here in Fl so i went with a 27ft tri-toon with a 300 on the back and it was $86,000ish out the door. Screenshot_20210624-084100_Chrome.jpg

That step ladder on the front would be nice for my Yamaha trailer. @driftaway - where are the speakers going?

My inlaws have expressed interest in a pontoon. I expect that prices are just as crazy as they have been w/ jets but honestly don't have the base knowledge to know for sure. Anyone track the pontoon market?

There's a lot for sale, mainly because there's a lot produced and the materials are all easy to source. Prices are up on the curve of boat sales, but not as bad as most styles of boats. With enough calling around you could probably still get a decent deal.

That step ladder on the front would be nice for my Yamaha trailer. @driftaway - where are the speakers going?
Everywhere. Thinking 6 pairs of 6.5 or 7.7s and 2 10 inch subs...for now lol

Yes, prices are crazy high for new pontoons. I had a friend just buy one. I think he paid MSRP + shipping + dealer prep. There was no negotiating on anything.

Then he had to pay for the outboard separately (apparently its common to price these separate from the boat), and then the trailer too. Out the door I think he ended up with a final bill that was +50% higher than the "advertised" price of just the boat itself because of all of the things not included.

So long as the person buying is fully aware that they are buying at the peak of the peak of the market and it is not an investment in any way, then go for it.

That dealer is not the norm for all pontoons, but at least one or two as drawing card configs. They obviously are advertising a unit to hit a particular price point. As many of the MFG's are partnering with certain motor MFG's to package at the factory. At least rig them at the factory. As the rigging (throttle, fuel, etc) is specific to the motor OEM. And many dealers are also certified for particular boat/motor brands.

So this dealer did a disservice to their customers by playing that game. It is common to have a particular brand boat rigged for one motor MFG, and then allow the dealer to package it with a range of sized motors. As many pontoons may be rated for a much higher HP than packaged to cut costs, but still provide adequate performance. And many buyers will not realize that a tritoon version of a pontoon they are looking at, could be rated a full hundred horse or more higher. In fishing boats, the common practice is to rig them with the max HP rating, but not so much with pontoons as many will never utilize full hp on a regular basis.

Trailers are another story. In our region, central MN, trailers are always an option. Just like the 275 series Yamahas, the majority of owners will never trailer these boats, other than to pull them out in the fall to go to storage, and then back in, in the spring. The dealer will many times charge a winterization, storage, wrap, pull out, put in package. And the home owners on 10,000+ lakes love that option, rather than owning a large storage building.

For those that do buy a trailer for this purpose, they will buy a cheap scissor trailer, as it allows them to drop the boat on the ground. As it is not advised to trailer on a regular basis without a full bunk trailer. Anyone that has towed a big pontoon on a scissor trailer any distance will agree, it's not fun at all.

Good luck in your search. Pontoon MFG's are in the same boat as SXS, Jetboat, Truck mfgs in component availability.

You’ve researched a lot of pontoon boat prices and you can’t help but balk. It seems like even if you’re looking at used boats, they’re just so much money! You’d rather spend the time and make your own DIY pontoon boats. How do you even go about doing this?

To make your own DIY pontoon boats, you can either buy a kit that comes with most of the materials or procure these materials yourself. Then it’s just a matter of following instructions and building your boat!

In this in-depth guide, we will tell you everything you need to know about making your own custom pontoon boat. From detailed steps to what kind of finished product you can expect, you’re not going to want to miss it.

There are plenty of common parts from what mfg of toons to another. Of course there are some quality and design components that really set some apart. But so many are the same.

For example, we had to replace a hatch cover, and it was not available from Bennington any more. We found the MFG name molded into the plastic and ordered it direct. Come to find, it's a common part in one of three colors for many toon MFG's.

I think it would be fun to design from scratch, but lots of work where the MFG's have it down. Many in this market will let you design your boat before it is built at the factory now. Seat layouts can be changed so easily, and everyone likes something different than the next based on their needs.

I am considering moving to a house on small, no wake speed lake. I’m looking for a used pontoon I can use on the lake. Here are a few I took notice of. I would love to have a seadoo switch but am not willing to spen that kind of money for a something I will be speed limited in. I just need a shaded party/dining barge, that I wouldn’t be embarrassed to own/be seen in.
E3810D6E-4C6F-4407-9D15-2E556DB26009.pngB06E06E8-136B-4771-A5DA-18223E530E1A.pngB9CA55C0-A788-4974-8E50-9059AD75DCDB.pngAF75961B-CC24-4197-952C-17D0C8E54E3D.pngEE865296-AFC7-463D-ACA7-BEB6FF572E53.jpeg

Back