• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Anyone reupholster their seats?

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I'm reupholstering just the small inserts on the back seat of my boat. The canvas guy that's local quoted me some crazy number like $600. He said a majority of the cost is him having to get 4-way stretch fabric which is crazy expensive. Well, in looking I have found some 4-way stretch marine fabric for pretty cheap. It's decent, I just think he didn't want to do them. Well, now my problem is I tried stainless t50 chisel point staples and they don't drive into the plastic base far enough. I tried a pneumatic stapler too with the same results. The plastic base is probably all of 3/16" thick. I tried hammering them in after both the air stapler and an arrow hand stapler but upside down on a table the seat just bounces and every staple I hit just bends over instead of going through it. Any suggestions? I have plenty of fabric so I can do a trial and error kinda thing if needed.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sunbrella Horizon is 4-way stretch marine vinyl and not cheap but very high quality. As far as your staples, how long are they? 1/4" will work and what we use. Now the stapler. Is it manual or pneumatic. We can adjust the air pressure on our Upholstery Staple Guns - Pneumatic Staple Guns to seat the staples in what ever medium we are fastening to. $600 sounds in the ball park without even seeing it. Big investment in the right tools and the Spring timeline is their busiest time of the year. Most Upholsters do not like repairing someone else’s work. Especially fixing 20+yo vinyl.

Last edited:

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've tried a manual and a pneumatic gun with the same results. If it weren't an almost 25 year old boat I'd probably have it done for the 600. What kind of gun do you use? The one I got was just a regular Bostich from the big box store, is there some special gun and staples they use or just stainless t50 shot from a regular gun?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you, I'll be ordering one today! Does the long nose and the short nose shoot the same? I assume the long nose just helps shooting inside hard to access areas.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited:

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have the arrow PT50 https://arrowfastener.com/tool/pt50/
I used my little viair medium duty air compressor in my truck, it's got a 2.5gal tank and the compressor has a max working pressure of 150psi. I had to use a pressure regulator to get it down to 60 to 100psi (arrow's recommended pressure) because it was blowing through the fabric. I did that on my AR192's cushion which has the plastic base. I'm sure the sailrite stapler is better, especially with that long nose, but I'm curious if your air supply is good? or you used a harbor freight stapler or something?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep, did my whole boat. See the link in my signature for the thread on it. I hope the fabric you got was good enough quality, as I kinda wish I'd gone with a little better stuff. It's fine, just a "hindsight 20/20" situation.

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm definitely getting air. It's regulated to 100 psi I know for sure. I ended up buying the sailrite one and their 1/4" ss staples just to not be an issue.

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I just got finished with the seats. Want to know what I learned? I wish I just ordered the right tools from the start. The Sailrite gun and staples worked just perfect. I would have eliminated a week's worth of messing around and constant thought about how to do it. It was way easier than I thought with the right tools.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Post some pics!

Did you buy a precut and stitched kit, or used stretchy material?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow! Great job. Glad the stapler worked for you.