• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pork Butts!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The egg holds the humidity and constant temp better due to the heavy ceramic walls. Not just an egg, but any ceramic kamado style oven. The design and efficiency is thousands of years old and from the Far East.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
But hey, it's your choice. I won't tell you it is better for every type of cooking or smoking. I will only tell you it is very versatile and yes, it is somewhat a cult, much like jetboaters! I can do a low and slow 12 hour cook without opening the egg, without adding fuel, and at constant temp. I can do a traditional oven temp of 400ish, I can sear at 800 degrees plus, and drop down to 400 to cook a steak to perfection. Cook a pizza in 4 minutes perfect at 800 degrees, just like a pizza oven. Does it do all these things better than any other cooker? No. Can other cookers do all these things? No.

But beyond a shadow of a doubt, steel cookers will not retain moisture in meats like a ceramic cooker without using crutches and effort to prevent dryness.

But above all, do not be confused by personal preference vs tradition or even tried and true recipes. Plenty of people would prefer one wood vs another for different cooks. I like hickory, mesquite, apple, cherry, and oak. And I am a rookie at the egg. But not so much a rookie to know that there is always more than one way to skin a cat!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
But hey, it's your choice. I won't tell you it is better for every type of cooking or smoking. I will only tell you it is very versatile and yes, it is somewhat a cult <LOL ......... Ya think ? ~~~~~~~~~~~~ !!!!!! LOL !> much like jetboaters! I can do a low and slow 12 hour cook without opening the egg, without adding fuel, and at constant temp. I can do a traditional oven temp of 400ish, I can sear at 800 degrees plus, and drop down to 400 to cook a steak to perfection. <But have ya EVER stayed in a Holiday Inn Express ??????????? !!!!!!!!> Cook a pizza in 4 minutes perfect at 800 degrees, just like a pizza oven. Does it do all these things better than any other cooker? No. Can other cookers do all these things? No. <Here we go again ...... Pure Scientific Evidence ! I rest my case ! ..... LOL !>

But beyond a shadow of a doubt, steel cookers will not retain moisture in meats like a ceramic cooker without using crutches and effort to prevent dryness.

But above all, do not be confused by personal preference vs tradition or even tried and true recipes. Plenty of people would prefer one wood vs another for different cooks. I like hickory, mesquite, apple, cherry, and oak. And I am a rookie at the egg. But not so much a rookie to know that there is always more than one way to skin a cat!
Let's be VERY CLEAR on 1 thing .........
I work VERY HARD @ being Confused ...... Most all of the time !
Wut most people miss is 1 simple TRUTH ....

"NEVER LET FACTS EVERT GIT IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY !"
This is a Motto I try and live by - Daily !
Y'all play nicely now, y'hear ? !
Mikey Lulejian- Smokin' in total confusion, with Grace, Dignity and pure unadulterated Red Oak Smoke on Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MikeyL have you ever eaten anything cooked by someone who knows how to cook on a BGE or other kamodo style cooker? I grew up in Texas, and lived in Ga for 10 years now, so I understand and appreciate both styles of BBQ. I can tell you when cooked right it's hard to beat the consistent moist results from a BGE. I've had electric smokers, offset smokers, Webbers, Gassers,etc, and now that I have an egg, I won't go back.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I don't have and issue AT ALL with meat being dried out...it's always moist.

I still don't understand how an egg at say 225-250 hold in moisture better than 1/4" steel...

I have a Yoder Wichita.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you have an offset smoker, and like it, I don't know that I would replace it with a ceramic smoker at all. It can and will do what any ceramic will do, but you will have to crutch the meat, inject, mop, or more, to get the moisture you can get with ceramics. But hey, it is just another way. The beauty to the egg, is being able to perform many different tasks, not just low and slow. But the characteristics of a low and slow on the egg are high moisture content due to the ceramics. Why is pizza in a clay brick oven better than in a grid or gas fired oven? Why does modern construction add a moisture barrier both inside and out on an insulated wall of a house? Some places you want moisture, some you don't. There is no insulation on a steel smoker. And you can only add so much moisture and get it to retain it. I am not arguing right and wrong, or even stating that an egg is better...but you asked why it helps to retain moisture better, and I am passing along my understanding of it...and not from a hype standpoint, but rather from the physics behind it. Could physics be used to hype something? Yep, probably been done before and will be done again. But I don't have to work too hard to produce very moist results on my egg...but then I am just a rookie.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't have and issue AT ALL with meat being dried out...it's always moist.

I still don't understand how an egg at say 225-250 hold in moisture better than 1/4" steel...

I have a Yoder Wichita.
Looked up the company and your Smoker. Looks like a quality company and product both.

I have both a Klose Backyard Chef (Houston) and a Tejas 2436XL (Houston) wood burning grill. Love 'em both.

Guess you'll haveta excuse me ....... I LOVE my SeaDoo Jetskiis as well ......... so I guess that explains a lot.
LOL ........ Mikey Lulejian - Smilin' on Lake Oconee, GA

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Nice smokers mikey. I love the klose...just couldn't justify that cost.

Side note, really appreciate you help on the minkota install...worked like a champ.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice smokers mikey. I love the klose...just couldn't justify that cost.

Side note, really appreciate you help on the minkota install...worked like a champ.
Agreed on Klose. Today I actually woulda bought a Tejas, even tho I have known David for 15 years. I like many of the Tejas QUALITY features and design ideas.
Glad I was able to help you in any way on the Minn Kota on-board charger. Minn Kota builds such QUALITY units - especially when you understand how to compare them against the competition ........ and see that there IS a reason to pay a few bucks MORE and yet get 2 to 3 times the performance, company support and overall quality of results.
Please enjoy a most Blessed week ahead, Mikey Lulejian, Livin' the GOOD LIFE on Beautiful Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have smokin tex smoker from right down the road in Plano. Probably not for traditionalists but the results are great. Put wood in the box, set the thermostat and forget it. I use combo of hickory and oak for pork, and hickory and pecan for brisket. I love the bark more than anything. If you haven't used pecan give it a try. Best when paired with another wood as it's too mild IMO to stand alone.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have smokin tex smoker from right down the road in Plano. Probably not for traditionalists but the results are great. Put wood in the box, set the thermostat and forget it. I use combo of hickory and oak for pork, and hickory and pecan for brisket. I love the bark more than anything. If you haven't used pecan give it a try. Best when paired with another wood as it's too mild IMO to stand alone.
Nice looking unit - Your Smokin' Tex. RESULTS are all that counts. All else is simply mantalk (LOL !). Pecan is SPLENDID .......... But totally agreed on mildness. Best ribs I ever ate were cooked on a wood burning CharBroil CB 940 grill, modified by the owner with LOTS of stainless, back (1988 ?) when CharBroil ACTUALLY manufactured units in Columbus, GA (not in crapola China). Phil and I went out together and gathered fallen Pecan large branches to bring home to his house and use. I swear the Texas pecan beats all ! Thanks for the great memory !

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice looking unit - Your Smokin' Tex. RESULTS are all that counts. All else is simply mantalk (LOL !). Pecan is SPLENDID .......... But totally agreed on mildness. Best ribs I ever ate were cooked on a wood burning CharBroil CB 940 grill, modified by the owner with LOTS of stainless, back (1988 ?) when CharBroil ACTUALLY manufactured units in Columbus, GA (not in crapola China). Phil and I went out together and gathered fallen Pecan large branches to bring home to his house and use. I swear the Texas pecan beats all ! Thanks for the great memory !
Our neighbor at the end of the street had some limbs break off of some of his large and very old pecan trees during our ice storm this year. The had tree company clean up and they left a pile on the curb for pick up. I had planned on going and get some to use for smoking but they picked up before I made it a priority to get. I kick myself.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
SuperJet Dan - that SUCKS!!! My favorite pork is chicharones, but pulled pork, pork roast, pork chops, pork loin.....I mean, it all works. My faaaaavorite.
Stacey, Can I ask what is the size of the font on your stern? I have finally settled on a name and want to order, but can't remember the dimensions.

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hey Nate! Greetings from one big person to another. ;)

Mmmmm - I want to say 3.5 instead of 4" to give it a bit better proportions. Unfortunately, I'm in Nashville at the moment so can't check....but when I get back this weekend I'll double check it for you. Pretty darn sure, though.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks. BTW, I love Charleston! I lived there for about 7 months while stationed at the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Training Unit at Pier X-ray. I studied on a rotating shift schedule. At the time I had a Suzuki GSXR-750 race bike. I would get off the midnight shift and grab a beach towel and sleep in the sand dunes out at Isle of Palms! Man those were good times! Saw Hootie and the Blowfish at a little nightclub called The Music Farm before they ever released a CD. I think we paid $5 to get in. I had friends from HS that went to The College of Charleston and The Citadel, so would get together and party with them downtown. Man......good times.....

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks. BTW, I love Charleston! ............. Saw Hootie and the Blowfish at a little nightclub called The Music Farm before they ever released a CD. I think we paid $5 to get in. I had friends from HS that went to The College of Charleston and The Citadel, so would get together and party with them downtown. Man......good times.....
Ain't Darius just the Bomb ! He "was" and today he still "IS !" Good memories !

Last edited:

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yep Charleston is cool. My brother and his family live in Mt.Pleasant.

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Yep Charleston is cool. My brother and his family live in Mt.Pleasant.
Lspeedss - if you ever visit you better look me up!! I'm in Rivertowne in Mount Pleasant!

Nate - you are too right. Charleston is just awesome - I'm a damn yankee, baby, because I'm STAYING. Darius is still so good to us here - shows up for events, etc. He is a great person by all accounts.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny

Stuck in my head all of a sudden!! LMAO :env: