• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port Engine fouling plugs running rich

gsnickle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay sounds good. I will be rebuilding my intermediate bearings for both engines since I have everything else out of the boat. Just though that it would be a good time for the mod if it was appropriate. Does that bearing use the molybdenum grease or just standard marine waterproof grease?

gsnickle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Okay, I am battling the impeller removal off of the shaft (up to a 4' pole on the wrench), but I noticed that the port and starboard impellers are different from each other. I think they are different pitch (according to manual), does anybody know why this is like that? They are both right handed rotation, and the same diameter, and hooked to identical engines (in the outboard world we would normally use counter rotation engines, but that is not needed in jet pumps. So that curiosity lead me to the second question of can you change the impellers with two of the same pitch aftermarket impellers, or will this over load one of the engines?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
does anybody know why this is like that?
The intakes have varying efficiency. Having counter rotating drives likely would have solved this.

If you put the same impeller pitch on both sides you will see higher RPMs and less water movement out of one of the pumps.

Yamaha made some change to the intake design to allow the same impellers to be used after 2015, perhaps earlier.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Im sure you’re aware they’re reverse thread? Some people report them being super tight, but mine came off without too much struggle, prolly about 150ish ft/lbs.

gsnickle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well I got the port impeller off with a 4' extension on the wrench. I had to jump on it to get it to break free (I am 6'1" and 220 lbs, so it probably took about 1000ft/lbs). When it finally gave up the fight it let go with the sound of a shotgun! Scared the crap out of me and sent me flying off the wrench. I though I broke the shaft. After inspection the impeller and shaft are fine, but the threads have a lot of salt buildup and some sticky stuff (maybe threadlocker) in them. I will start on the other one this week, and then on to the intermediate bearings! Got the oil changed, ecu swapped out for the new one, fixed the coolant flush lines (they were kinked at the engine) replaced some degraded wires (behind the ecus), and installed a few flush mount universal pole/cup/tray holders on the boat. Getting closer to trusting this boat again.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where did you get your new ecu from ?

gsnickle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got the ECU from Partzilla when I get back on the water I will send the old one off for a reman to have a spare.

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Just replaced my starboard ECU ( from Yamaha Canada) on my 2008 232 LTD here in Canada $2500 tax in @#%, there was a very small amount of water in the box. Its a bitch to get the box over the oil reservoir, you need to cut some tie wraps holding the wires together and remove the lift mounts off the reservoir. Be careful not to let the 4 spacers between the case and the back wall fall into the hull, they were a bitch to find. My symptoms were erratic rpm, gas flooding out the exhaust with difficulty starting. Was plug an play, two outings since, water skiing and tubing, runs like a champ.

Attachments

gsnickle

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Update time...Replaced the ECU, changed the oil, test run the engines and they run the same now and idle at about 1300rpm. Pulled the engines forward (by myself) and found a neat little trick. I used a car scissors jack and a couple of pieces of wood to just push the engines forward enough to get the bearing housings and stub shafts/coupler out. I plan on using the same technique to push the engines back into place. Got the bearing housings out and pressed the shafts out, then hit a big problem, the rubber isolators just came out of the housing while I was pulling the rear seal. Upon inspection the isolator ring was severely deteriorated and swollen/buckled on the edges. I went on partzilla and ordered two new bearing housings and they said that they were available and would ship in 2-3 days. I checked on them today and now they say 8 OCTOBER 2021!!!!! (I guess I should be thankful that it was 2021 not 2022!) I will be cancelling the order tomorrow when they open up. So, anybody have a lead on two new or serviceable bearing housings? While I was waiting for the bearing housings I replaced the drive shafts (one had two grooves on the bearing surface, and the other had grooves and the splines were worn thin). Installed the new bearings and seals with the gear oil mod, and re-assembled the whole impeller assembly back together for both drives. Now I am down to those damn bearings in the middle!

Once again any leads on new or serviceable intermediate bearing housings would be very much appreciated.

Last edited: