• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port side windshield shattered

Steve212x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hey Guys

New to this forum and a new jetboat owner. Had previous boats, but this is clearly an upgrade from what I had.
Strangest thing happened today - while sitting on the trailer in my driveway the port side windshield just shattered without anyone in the boat, no external influence.

Wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

PNG image 2020-06-30 06_03_05.png

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow, never heard of that before, at least it's on the port side which will be easier to remove.

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
someone with a BB gun

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum @Steve212x. Sorry to hear of your problem. Only thing I can think of is either excessive heat or stress. Is it possible there was a small stress crack on the edge of the glass near the frame? That coupled with heat buildup under the cover could cause the crack to expand and burst.

Steve212x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Thanks Gym and StevePro - could it be that the boat was not perfectly centred on the trailer to cause the stress?

Another question, when looking for parts I see two model numbers 212X - XAT1800BL vs 212X - XAT1800AL. Anyone know the difference? Want to make sure I order the correct part.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be honest with you, it sounds exactly like it does when I have shot car window glass at the junkyard with a high speed pellet gun. We were killing some big rats and the time and shot out some side windows on cars that were going to get crushed. I could be most certainly wrong. Do you have a jealous neighbor?

Steve212x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Sadly yes, we do have some super great neighbours (insert massive amounts of sarcasm here)... That was honestly my first thought also.
It has not happened before, but I guess there is a first time for everything.

Well, whatever happened it does need to be replaced. Anyone know of the best place to ask for this? I am on the google machine now - and have found some. Also trying my local dealer (expecting them to be more expensive than online but hopefully cheaper on the shipping)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Maybe copart.com salvage dealer ?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum @Steve212x. Sorry to hear of your problem. Only thing I can think of is either excessive heat or stress may have caused the glass to shatter. Have you noticed any minor stress cracks near the frame?

Steve212x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
@Gym i have not, at least not yet. As you can imagine I was pretty pissed when it happened. So I took the shards out and covered it up as we had some weather coming in.
I plan to inspect this weekend.

Yamaha dealer nearest me quoted ~$960 for the glass and fitment kit (which apparently you need) and $400 to install. Luckily this one is got Geico’s account!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good to hear your insurance has your back.

jjmparsons

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Also if you guys want to witness the magic that happend here

At a loss for words on this one for sure.... were you in the boat when it happened? Disregard... just read your post again. I'm trying to figure out the reflection in the back window of the truck due to the fact its moving prior to the window shattering and then stops after the shatter. May just be a flag blowing in the wind but it had me thinking there was someone with a ratchet doing something.

Steve212x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
It’s our flag pole, I was not in the boat. No one was even touching it.

I would like to believe that people wouldn’t shoot out a window, but the human race surprises me daily. Unfortunately.