• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible upgrade to 2008 sx230

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I am thinking of upgrading from our 2001 LS2000 to this 2008 SX230. It is listed by a used boat dealer about 3 hours away from me. I spoke with a gentlemen at the dealer that said it is a local boat, fresh water only. His description of it is excellent condition inside and out with near perfect interior. The boat has a new custom cover and will come with a 30 day warranty on the motors dealer will pay for "mechanical engine problems" for work preformed at a certified Yamaha shop. It has just under 300 hours on YDS ,I have a couple of questions before we go see it in person. (1) anything other than the scupper I should pay particular attention to on this model (2) what is the market on these in similar condition and similar hours? 20190604_165849.jpg20190604_165831.jpg20190604_165811.jpg20190604_165751.jpg20190604_165734.jpg

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
In the instrument cluster I notice that signs of weathering are shown all of the switches that are missing their white icons and on the steering wheel. Not a big deal in themselves, but if these are weathered you will probably see it in other areas like the vinyl upholstery. Pull the air cleaner covers and inspect the tops of each engine for signs of oil, and indicator that they were overfilled. The elements should be close to 'like new'. Pull a plug or two on each engine and check for condition. Check that steering moves smoothly from left to right and is not binding. At this age you might be close to needing new steering cables. Check the outdrive jet units for signs of corrosion. See if you can get a clear view of the impellers for wear, but a water test on this would be telling. Check that the cleanout plugs are clean and functional (under the rear deck tray).

Most certainly water test it before buying!

Looks pretty clean from this side of the screen!

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@JetPowered thank you for the input, I will keep the steering in mind as well as looking for more weathering. Do you have any idea on the market values on this year model?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NADA says $19,000-21,000.
Hey I am going to miss your smoky old boat. You will love just tapping the key over and that MR-1 motor coming to life. Lots more room for the family. Less than half the hours I have on my 2008. Look at @Scottintexas list that he created for potential issues. Looks like a great addition to the Shelbyville flotilla this summer.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@buckbuck , the old 2smoker may stay in the stable. I have not decided if I will sell or keep it. I have grown to love the old boat at what it is capable of. #gofast #speed, thanks for the info, I read through the information list and will for sure be using it as a guide when we go look. Thanks again for your input, Hope to see you in a couple of months #shelbyville

merlinjet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a 2009 232 Limited S. It is a beautiful boat; some say on this forum the 07-09 series of 23'er's were some of the best boats Yamaha ever built. I have had to replace the upholstery throughout the boat, it is one of the weak points of the boat. It seems they used inferior vinyl back then, so take a good look at that. The sound system will also need to be upgraded if it has not been done already. Find out how may hours are on the engines. You'll need to take it to a Yamaha dealer and have them plug into your ECM to read the hours. The MR-1 engines are solid performers as long as they have been taken care of. I'd have the dealer take a look at them and all the cables while you're there checking the hours. Some dealers won't even charge you for this kind of stuff if you can leave the boat with them to do the checks. Definitely crawl around underneath it and shoot a flashlight up the intake grate to check the impellers. Check the other side of the impellers by putting the throttles full forward and shoot the light up the nozzle. The impellers should not look bent or have nicked edges. The dealer may also help you with arriving at a reasonable offer to the seller. I think there is a checklist somewhere here on the forum that covers buying a preowned boat. Good luck!

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@merlinjet , thank you for the information. I will definitely keep this in mind. I will for sure look at the interior closely. I specifically asked the guy at the dealership about the interior condition because I read on here about the interior material in these years having deteriorating issues. He said it was one of the nicest he has seen. Hopefully that carries throughout the entire boat.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It presents well. As for value, I think between 16k and 19k is what I would spend. Mine has not really depreciated since I bought it. I guess I got a really good deal. Check out the trailer too. I have needed to keep up on quite a bit from bunk boards to the brakes, surge mechanism, brake fluid level, tires and hubs. It looks shiny; but take a closer look to make sure you don’t have a hidden cost that bites you after the purchase.

Last edited:

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
NADA says $19,000-21,000.
Hey I am going to miss your smoky old boat. You will love just tapping the key over and that MR-1 motor coming to life. Lots more room for the family. Less than half the hours I have on my 2008. Look at @Scottintexas list that he created for potential issues. Looks like a great addition to the Shelbyville flotilla this summer.
That seems like a low price for that boat. It would go for at least 22 to 24k here. These 23ft MR1 boats really hold value, because theyre great. 19k is 21ft money here.

Overall it looks really clean. Interior looks to be in great shape, maybe redone at some point, though you would think they would switch to blue accents if so. What are they asking?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I thought of one more thing. Test out no wake mode (press & hold for 2 seconds to enter). I had the port engine throw a code tonight. Ran a quick YDS, to find it was “no wake switch intermittent” (068) disconnected/reconnected the wires on the switch and ecm, tested in diagnostic mode, and and it went away after a couple starts. I remember multiple members having issues with the switches and them being a bit pricey to replace. I love that the boats have held value for many years. I would have never thought I could sell my 2006 boat for as much or more than I paid seven+ years ago. Problem is, the prices for new grew so much over the years, I don’t want to sell. The early gen boats are really a smart buy.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
That seems like a low price for that boat. It would go for at least 22 to 24k here. These 23ft MR1 boats really hold value, because theyre great. 19k is 21ft money here.

Overall it looks really clean. Interior looks to be in great shape, maybe redone at some point, though you would think they would switch to blue accents if so. What are they asking?
@BlkGS , It does look to be in very nice condition, from the pictures. One funny thing listed in the online description is "pictures hide a lot, come put your face 12" away and you will be amazed at how clean this boat is". I am not sure if the interior has been redone or just well taken care of. They have it listed for $25,995 which I felt was on the high side. My initial feeling was it would be a good buy at $23k-$23.5k if they are willing to negotiate, and it shows and runs out as described.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I thought of one more thing. Test out no wake mode (press & hold for 2 seconds to enter). I had the port engine throw a code tonight. Ran a quick YDS, to find it was “no wake switch intermittent” (068) disconnected/reconnected the wires on the switch and ecm, tested in diagnostic mode, and and it went away after a couple starts. I remember multiple members having issues with the switches and them being a bit pricey to replace. I love that the boats have held value for many years. I would have never thought I could sell my 2006 boat for as much or more than I paid seven+ years ago. Problem is, the prices for new grew so much over the years, I don’t want to sell. The early gen boats are really a smart buy.
@Seadeals , thank you for the heads up.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BlkGS , It does look to be in very nice condition, from the pictures. One funny thing listed in the online description is "pictures hide a lot, come put your face 12" away and you will be amazed at how clean this boat is". I am not sure if the interior has been redone or just well taken care of. They have it listed for $25,995 which I felt was on the high side. My initial feeling was it would be a good buy at $23k-$23.5k if they are willing to negotiate, and it shows and runs out as described.
I can't disagree. Honeslty, I think even approaching 25k wouldnt be a terrible price if it's that clean. Not a steal, but not bad either.

I think it's better to maybe be on the high side for a GOOD item than to "get a deal" on a POS that needs a lot of money into it.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@JC6275
I forgot about the trailer. As others have said look close at the tires. You don't want the bias ply tires and radials will cost you $600. The bunk boards have to be replaced every 5 years or so. If you do a water test look at them close while the boat is off. LED tail lights are in your future if not done yet. Look at the keel area where the boat slides on the bunks. I have had to add gelcoat in that area on mine. Kinda excited for you guys. I hope it works out.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's a good looking boat. I would guess the upholstery has been redone. It's pretty common for the switches to have the pictures erased..if it sat in the sun for some time, but the seats are the first to go in the sun..hence my guess. Engine area looks clean.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
@buckbuck , not yet. We are still in contact. I have been super busy and can't seem to get up there to check it out. I am hoping to get there next weekend if it is still available. I keep going back and forth in my head should I get an older "bigger boat" or get a newer "smaller boat" ie: sx 192 or 195. I am rationalizing the 19' series because the vast majority of the time it will be 3 or 4 of us. It seems the 19 would be sufficient and still a major upgrade from our LS. On the other hand I like the bigger boats for the size, comfort and better ride. I am still actively looking and know my budget since I don't plan on financing anything so I want to get the most boat I can that fits in my low to mid 20k price range.