• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Potential Scarab 215 ID purchase?

Terrapinjam99

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So looking at a 2018 Scarab 212 ID with the twin 150 ( non-supercharged ) engines. Have never owned jet boat before , but find them very intriguing and appealing . But worrying about trying something new like this . Worried about long term reliability of these rotax engine systems and Scarab boats .
- is the twin 150 setup enough power for this boat?
- what would the top speed be ?
- should I step up to the twin 200 hp supercharged setup?
- how loud are these boats compared to standard Mercury setup I/O in a 20 - 21 - foot open bow ?

Just looking for any input from owners of these Scarab Rotax boats - specifically the 21 footers .
Thanks

Foobar

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The Rotax engines are supposed to be comparable in in performance to the Yamahas. (So I have been told. I do not know from personal experience.) But in reliability the Yamahas are much better. (Again, based on what I have read.) The supercharged version will obviously put out more HP on both platforms. I was considering a 255 ID, but I would have had to wait a while. I was also inclined to go with the proven reliability of Yamahas. (Some people with disagree.)

Jets tend to be louder, but it also depends on your boat, engine bay, sound proofing, etc. I just added sound proofing to my 210 FSH and it made a pretty big difference.

Last edited:

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have own a jet boat for about 5 years now...have not had any engine problem as of today. There are more Rotax engines running around the world than any other jet brand out there. The defects that have shown here on Scarabs was with the alignment of the twin engines on the first year production of the 215. Since have been fixed. And Scarab has listened to their customers and have upped the warranty on their boats to 3 years. Regarding speed, I can only quote since I have a 255 with twin 250s...so I say around 48mph since its a lighter boat and their top speed with twin 250s is around 58mph. Sound wise, they are way quieter than what they were 4 years ago....those were loud. But in a twin 150 configuration there is no supercharger noise and been a catalytic system....i would assume very quiet.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just added sound proofing to my 210 FSH and it made a pretty big difference.
@Foobar what was your experience with that? did you post on it? Sorry, I can not find anything.
There are many ways to do it, I'm always on the outlook for newer better approaches.

@Terrapinjam99 These boats are loud, even with all factory sound proofing they tend to install in new models, still not even close to traditional boats. They also run high revving engines, so it is not for everyone. A test ride would be very important.
Some people including myself find the engine noise made by the BRP three cylinders to be less annoying as compared to the harmonically challenging 4-cyl yammie, but those are all pretty loud.

--

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
you will not be disappointed with a scarab 215 with twin 150's. I have the twin 200's and love the sound of the supercharged engine. this rotax 4tech motor has been around for a while. I had the 150hp N/A motor in my 2003 seadoo sportster and it was bullet proof, not one problem and I sold it 2012! just did the seasonal oil change, plugs and proper winterizing..... if money is not an issue I would step up to the 200's or 250's just for the fun factor but it will definitely drink more fuel at full throttle, normal cruising speeds wont be much different. regarding noise levels, jet boat are generally a little louder due to higher RPM's vs a merc. I believe the 2017 Yamaha 21ft boats have lower decibel reading in the upper rpm range in comparison to the scarab boats.

flycast209

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have a 215 with twin 250s. I would be fine with twin 150s, and get better gas mileage. Great boat with any of engine options Scarab makes available.