• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Potentially purchasing this 2021 255XD

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hey experts!

Im certainly not an expert so I would like to know your opinions. I have a 2022 212XD deposit at a dealer however it is taking too long so I found a 2021 255XD for $95,000 with 38 hours on it which I like a lot, because of the bigger size and of course immediate delivery. Boat comes with the 4 years additional warranty and 2 covers.

The boat looks to be in overall really good shape, the only thing that calls my attention is the scratches underneath from the owner beaching it without a keel guard. The boat is 2.5 hours away and I went yesterday to see it while the owner was out on it in the water so we did a test ride but of course I didn’t get to see / feel the bottom scratches since I left before the owner took it out of the water.

Please see the attached pictures and let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
The scratches would need to be wet sanded but I would rotary buff with a cutting compound to see if you could live with it. You could get a pint of black gel coat past and fill and buff till new. Or will you be beaching the boat at all? A keel guard is nice but will not stop all scratches.

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
obviously good thing they are getting rid of the boat, seeing how hard they been beaching it. Def can be fixed. Price wise you will be about 10k ahead of thegame maybe even more. 38hrs is nothing. I put 65 on last year my 1st season with my 255xd.

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know this question is hard to answer since it varies on a million things. But ballpark figure anyone that has done some type of repair similar to what I need what do you think it would cost?

just because the owner is willing to work with me on the price depending on repair costs.

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The scratches would need to be wet sanded but I would rotary buff with a cutting compound to see if you could live with it. You could get a pint of black gel coat past and fill and buff till new. Or will you be beaching the boat at all? A keel guard is nice but will not stop all scratches.
I like the idea of beaching it, maybe not so much where it can cause damage like this but just close enough to shore where the kids and wife can get off

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I like the idea of beaching it, maybe not so much where it can cause damage like this but just close enough to shore where the kids and wife can get off
theres beaching, then there basically running aground which is what it looks like they did lol.

I usually pull up and back the boat up to shore. I have a small jetski type anchor i use off the back to keep boat transom facing the shoreline along with the normal anchor. I never have the need to have the keel dragged up onto the sand.

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
theres beaching, then there basically running aground which is what it looks like they did lol.

I usually pull up and back the boat up to shore. I have a small jetski type anchor i use off the back to keep boat transom facing the shoreline along with the normal anchor. I never have the need to have the keel dragged up onto the sand.
yeah that’s what I had in mind. Any concerns with the state of the boat?

Wicked92

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
yeah that’s what I had in mind. Any concerns with the state of the boat?
no, just get that keel fixed and you are good to go. If they will work on price u are gonna save yourself a good amount of money. Last year my 255xd was 97k out the door, then add the yes warranty and the mooring cover. The snap one was included in my price.

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know this question is hard to answer since it varies on a million things. But ballpark figure anyone that has done some type of repair similar to what I need what do you think it would cost?

just because the owner is willing to work with me on the price depending on repair costs.
If you take it to a shop their probably going to want around $2k if it’s real bad. Keep in mind when you install a keel guard you usually scuff up the keel anyways so it kind of depends on how bad it is.

n33d45p33d

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If you take it to a shop their probably going to want around $2k if it’s real bad. Keep in mind when you install a keel guard you usually scuff up the keel anyways so it kind of depends on how bad it is.
Heard the same figure from 2 other people. I guess I’ll try and get that off the price, thanks!

David.Parrish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
For what it’s worth, I have a 2021 255XD and absolutely love it. We put 40+ hours on it last season and already out on it again this weekend with the nice weather in VA Beach.

I’d see if they are willing to negotiate a bit on price since you need some repair work, but otherwise I’d highly recommend.