• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Power source

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Looking for suggestions on best spot to wire into power for new Garming 43 DV installation. I was thinking about just hooking into the 12V accessory plug below the instrument panel? Good? Bad? Ugly? :)

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Depends. Will you be using the acc plug and GPS at the same time? If so, I would run a new power & ground led from the battery to the helm for the GPS. If not, then yes wiring to the acc plug will be fine.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The only thing that I would be running out of the ACC plug would be a cell phone charger. ..2 amps max.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The only thing that I would be running out of the ACC plug would be a cell phone charger. ..2 amps max.
You should be fine. I believe the breaker on the acc is 10 amps so plenty of room for both.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yea. .best I can tell the Garmin draw is not more than an amp. Thanks for your time!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The fuse rating is in the owners manual under specifications. My manual (2016 242 LS) lists 20 amps for the accessory fuse. I am dubious on that though as I know the aceesory port in the swim deck port seat back storage area is 20 amp. Could be they both are but not listed separately.

The Garmin is specd for 5 watt draw so 5 watts/12 volts = 0.41 amps. I think you will be more than fine.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Great, I knew it was 5W and 12 V, but couldnt remember the formula :) however one source seemed to reference 5xxma, so I figured it would be ok. Thanks!!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Amps * Volts = Watts . Once you remember that you can flip it around to get any of the three knowing the other two. Works for AC as well.

I would verify that the outlet is switched just in case you forget to shut off your batteries. If it is not then you can use a relay to make it switched.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Amps * Volts = Watts . Once you remember that you can flip it around to get any of the three knowing the other two. Works for AC as well.

I would verify that the outlet is switched just in case you forget to shut off your batteries. If it is not then you can use a relay to make it switched.
What would you use for that relay? A power antenna (blue wire) from the HU?

I used the yellow/red-stripe wire from the ignition as a source of switched power, will need it again for Perfect Pass.

--

Last edited:

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking for suggestions on best spot to wire into power for new Garming 43 DV installation. I was thinking about just hooking into the 12V accessory plug below the instrument panel? Good? Bad? Ugly? :)
Our depth gauge did not work when I bought our boat, so I tapped into the wiring for the depth gauge since our SIMRAD unit takes care of Depth, GPS, etc. It is switched power which I like, so when the boat is not running I can leave the key on while we are fishing, it has worked well for us so far.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The depth gauge receives low current 12 volt courtesy of it being NMEA. That is fine for the trigger on a relay. I am going to be adding a lot to my boat so I am adding a switched fuse panel in the helm. I already have direct from battery 0 gauge run to a distribution block in the helm so I am going to run a 50 amp continuous duty relay off that to a fuse panel so I have a whole switched panel. I will use the yellow red from the ignition for the trigger.

That way I can hook up ballast pumps, perfect pass, and a chartplotter with no issues and less risk of leaving something on and draining the battery.

I do recommend the yellow red ignition wire as the switched trigger for relays.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for clarifying that!
Will you pleeeese post your set up when done.

--

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah are you using the relay to shut the fuse panel off because of the push button start mod? I often use accessories powered by the aux panel I added behind the helm with the engines off, so I'm just curious.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The depth gauge receives low current 12 volt courtesy of it being NMEA. That is fine for the trigger on a relay. I am going to be adding a lot to my boat so I am adding a switched fuse panel in the helm. I already have direct from battery 0 gauge run to a distribution block in the helm so I am going to run a 50 amp continuous duty relay off that to a fuse panel so I have a whole switched panel. I will use the yellow red from the ignition for the trigger.

That way I can hook up ballast pumps, perfect pass, and a chartplotter with no issues and less risk of leaving something on and draining the battery.

If I remember correctly the depth gauge wiring were tied directly to the ignition switch power and ground.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will. I must sound like a broken record with the boat is wrapped excuse but that, the freezing cold weather, and feet of snow should be pretty good excuses. Below is the current photo. I am going to add an 8 channel JL amp and a switched sub panel off of the two remaining distribution fuse slots. I will likley locate the new panel to hold all of that opposite my current one under the helm on the seatback wall. So I will run two 4 awg pairs around the helm. I really like the helm for electronics as opposed to under the seats given that even if left open it is still a dry spot and less likley that items will interfere with heat dissipation.

IMG_3452.JPG

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I used wires that went to the power outlet. Guaranteed 12v and no guessing which one is power. then again I like to keep things simple. no fuse box, no relay, least amount of electronics possible lol

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If I remember correctly the depth gauge wiring were tied directly to the ignition switch power and ground.
Certainly could be. The 12v power just needs to be introduced from a source the communication happens on the other wires. I am just wary of tapping into anything that may introduce noise, either to what I am adding or what is already there.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used wires that went to the power outlet. Guaranteed 12v and no guessing which one is power. then again I like to keep things simple. no fuse box, no relay, least amount of electronics possible lol
In line fuse for the Garmin at least?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
isn't the 12v cig jack already fused? (i don't have a garmin)
Sorry Garmin came from what started the thread. Yes the cig jack is fused. The reason why you would want a fuse between that and a chartplottker or other low amperage device is to protect that high dollar low amperage device. If the cig lighter is fused at 20 amps and the chartplotter only draws half an amp then you want to use a 1 amp inline fuse for the plotter.