• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preparing your boat for a hurricane?

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I store my boat on a trailer in my yard and was thinking about getting 4 mobile home anchors and 2 large ratchet straps to stabilize my boat just in case Hurricane Irma decides to visit me here in Swfl. Ive been through hurricane Charley and you cannot predict exactly where the eyewall will make landfall until it's too late. On the Brightside, when we bought our 17' ar240 3 months back we went with marine underwriters insurance and paid a little more upfront to cover a full $60,000 replacement. What is everyone's thoughts about securing their boat for a hurricane?

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
this is exactly what i plan to do. But i plan to take it inland a little to Myakka City.

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We're monitoring the situation in Tampa & plan to take it with us if we have to evacuate. If we're displaced we'll have some entertainment & it will limit the number of deductibles we have to pay.

However, that get me thinking. In a hurricane are vehicles (including boats) in the garage included in the homeowners claim or are they still subject to their individual policy?

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We're monitoring the situation in Tampa & plan to take it with us if we have to evacuate. If we're displaced we'll have some entertainment & it will limit the number of deductibles we have to pay.

However, that get me thinking. In a hurricane are vehicles (including boats) in the garage included in the homeowners claim or are they still subject to their individual policy?
Most likely your boat in the garage is not covered under your home owners policy because it is a recreational vehicle. I just checked our boats insurance policy and it is covered for total loss under a named storm we just have to pay a $600 deductible.

Kazz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am Fort Lauderdale and have my boat in my yard on the trailer. I have ratchet straps which I will use to strap th boat to the trailer and other straps to strap the trailer to helical screws in the ground. Any ideas for windshield protection? Lots of trees in the area which may contribute to flying debris.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it possible to put the boat in between yours and your neighbors house to shield it? The biggest problem will be flying debris. During Mathew, the marina around the corner (that has a fleet of jet boats and jet skis) pulled everything they had trailers for and put in the Church parking lot across the street. The rest he put 3 batteries in each boat, ran them as far up on the bank of the Halifax as he could, then tied them to a tree. No vessels were lost and when the storm was over he gathered up everything and put back in the water once it was safe to do so.

Much mojo to those dealing with this.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I store my boat on a trailer in my yard and was thinking about getting 4 mobile home anchors and 2 large ratchet straps to stabilize my boat just in case Hurricane Irma decides to visit me here in Swfl. Ive been through hurricane Charley and you cannot predict exactly where the eyewall will make landfall until it's too late. On the Brightside, when we bought our 17' ar240 3 months back we went with marine underwriters insurance and paid a little more upfront to cover a full $60,000 replacement. What is everyone's thoughts about securing their boat for a hurricane?
Great idea - I am prepping for a CAT5 hit.... hopefully the gulf stream pushes the storm out of Tampa Bay.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You said you have insurance...why spend any money securing it from moving when it is still possible to be damaged without moving...

The question was answered once insurance was stated IMO

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You said you have insurance...why spend any money securing it from moving when it is still possible to be damaged without moving...

The question was answered once insurance was stated IMO
If i can secure the boat from taking damage or causing damage, im sure going to try regaurdless if my insurance covers it or not. Cost me $60 in material, $40 for 4' ground anchors and $20 for the straps. If it works great, i wont have to deal with the 5k-6k in upgrades thats in the boat. If not, well then ill let insurance take over. Im not the type that just says F-it i got insurance. To all those in Irma's path like me, god bless and stay safe. Make sure you have plenty of water and hygiene products, everything out in your yard that can fly away picked up. Also make sure your ac unit is attached to your concrete slab and not just sitting on it.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Vehicles, including boats and RVs, are not covered under your homeowner's policy. Some parts may be if they are not attached to the vehicle and are stored in your garage. (Example - If your bimini was removed and stored in your garage or a set of snow tires.)

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I sure have the southern jetboaters ( and non jetboaters ) in my thoughts right now. I hope everything turns out ok and everyone stays safe!