• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Problems with Scarab 195 Motor at 6 hours

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just purchased a new 2015 Scarab 195 with the 200 hp motor. I took it out with friends twice, then took my dad out. We were fishing just past the breakwater near Long Beach and San Pedro. We were going about 5 mph for about an hour then started heading back in. The boat started reducing RPMs and speed from 7,000 down to 5 then 4,000 RPM. Then we lost almost all power, even when the engine was revving. At 4-5,000 RPM white smoke was coming out the back, so we crawled back in at 2,000 RPMs and it took almost 2 hours to get back to the boat launch.

When we just got in, the Low Oil Pressure Light came on so we turned off the engine for 5 minutes, then started back up and went in.

I'm taking my boat back to the dealer, as it's obviously under warranty, but I'm pretty concerned that we had this issue at just 5 or 6 hours.

It was quite odd, revving the engine but not getting any more power than when idling.

Has anyone had similar problems? I'll let you know what the dealer says once they check it out this week.

Thanks!

luanders

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Any chance you sucked up weeds or a small stick or something?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds like it went into limp home mode. Strange that no codes flashed while reduced power was happening.

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
After reading this thread here, it sounds like I may have sucked something up that got stuck. Considering we were around Kelp and all that, getting something stuck seems like a likely scenario. I did look under the boat and did not see anything, but I will give it a more thorough inspection before taking the boat in.

This was very disheartening especially because just as this happened, the break in period was ending I was starting to get more RPM.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/scarab-195-hoi-goes-at-10-mph-maximum-speed-for-7000-rpm-and-vibrate.9325/

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds like it went into limp home mode. Strange that no codes flashed while reduced power was happening.
Yeah, no codes flashed until later, when the low oil pressure light came on. The only thing I noticed odd in the engine is that a little bit of green coolant had spilled, and the clear tube from the coolant reservoir was not connected to anything, and dripped down into the engine compartment.

Is the clear coolant hose supposed to be connected to something besides the reservoir? Perhaps it came loose. the coolant level was also a bit on the low side.

Thanks!

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I did another inspection under the boat and could not see anything that may have gotten sucked up and stuck. I took the boat back to the dealer yesterday for inspection and break in service.

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I took my boat into the dealer on Wednesday. I spoke to them today and they said there was damage to the pump they do not feel I caused and are putting in a warranty claim, but said because there is both Scarab and Rotax, the warranty process may take a while.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I took my boat into the dealer on Wednesday. I spoke to them today and they said there was damage to the pump they do not feel I caused and are putting in a warranty claim, but said because there is both Scarab and Rotax, the warranty process may take a while.
Atleast it is under warranty!

Jubin Payandeh

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
Yeah, no codes flashed until later, when the low oil pressure light came on. The only thing I noticed odd in the engine is that a little bit of green coolant had spilled, and the clear tube from the coolant reservoir was not connected to anything, and dripped down into the engine compartment.

Is the clear coolant hose supposed to be connected to something besides the reservoir? Perhaps it came loose. the coolant level was also a bit on the low side.

Thanks!
The clear tube is for coolant overflow and is not supposed to connect to anything on the other end.

Did your engine over-heat?

I had a similar problem early on with mine.

Jubin.

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The clear tube is for coolant overflow and is not supposed to connect to anything on the other end.

Did your engine over-heat?

I had a similar problem early on with mine.

Jubin.

Thanks! The Low Oil Pressure light came on, but no engine temperature light. In the dealer repair report, he put in that the engine temp light came on. The engine may have over-heated, but no light came on telling me that besides the low oil pressure light.

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So I took it into the dealer and they repaired under warranty. They said a nut or bolt wasn't attached properly inside the jet pump, came loose, and broke a few things. The repair parts list had quite a few parts so I'm glad it was covered under warranty.

Zeus2013

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So what caused the low oil pressure?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will not hit the dislike to impact you as a poster but I really dislike these scarab posts. Disgusted with the execution and roll out of these new boats.

Slugger55

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Agree with the displeasure. My 2014 195 HOI is back at the dealer for a carbon seal leak. This is the fourth trip to the dealer for problems...

Ray Rosas

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
ouch - I hate reading these things knowing I've already had 2 small pieces of wood smaller than a dime ruin my weekend and I have had reverse error issues along with just a lack a power from what my expectation were on the throttle.. The dealer said any Rotax place would service it NOT TRUE so the nearest SCARAB place is over 2 hours away and where I bought my boat nearest dealer is 4+ hrs away. The closer place that services said they stopped being a dealer but are still on the Scarab website.. I hope my luck turns around.

Sean Scarab 195

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey Ray,

The pieces of wood got stuck in the engine and you lost power? That is a huge bummer. After the above mentioned incident, I've had that happen twice and fortunately the pieces worked their way out after a little while of frustration and ended our wake boarding session.

Discovery Bay is freshwater off the sacramento delta? I'd love to do some boating up there. I imagine there is more wood in the water up in Northern California that could get sucked up.

In November, we sucked up a 3/8" wakeboarding style rope, which wrapped the drive shaft, broke a seal and ultimately flooded the engine, nearly sank or swamped the boat. We were out by Catalina, 25 mile tow home. Second time I was towed back to Catalina, the other was from Kelp that ended up working it's way out once we were back. Cost for repairs and new engine $14k. Fortunately insurance is paying for most but I'm not sure what this will do to my extended warranty, and my boat has been in the shop since Thanksgiving. I love my Scarab, put a 100+ hours on it in 6 months, but am concerned about the continued susceptibility to damage, and how much warranty and insurance will ultimately cover.

Fortunately, the dealer is about 40 minutes away and they've been good to me, although they take time, lots of it. I've also had to replace: Bilge pump(!), front light, drivers seat bolts, battery strap. Should've been done by warranty but BRP and Scarab are just not responsive to the dealer or something, making me concerned.

You mention lack of power? After break in period? What top speed have you been seeing? I was worried about power before the break in, but it's been good since, except for the few times we've sucked things up.