• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

proper cleaning and protection question Yamaha AR192

ripndip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Hey guys I have a Yamaha ar192 and I run it in the awesome salt waters of Miami Florida Lol was just wondering how to clean the engine and how to protect it. I currently use the Yamaha silicone spray to spray on the outside part of the engine under the transom. I want to know how and what to use to clean the actual engine bay, I've occasionally sprayed some silicone spray in there and wiped all the excess down to keep it looking shiny and new, I've heard of spraying water in there but I'm not to sure. All advice is greatly appreciated !!!! And if anyone in Miami wants to plan a fun weekend on the water I'm down !
Just want to make sure I'm protecting my baby.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
The hot sauce line is awesome!
My engine bay is still a bit stained from sitting out in Florida before i bought it. A light rinse from time to time. Find a freshwater lake and do a sub move!
Jk!
@buckbuck

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I usually use T-9 on my engines. However, what I've recently discovered is when I LIGHTLY rinse the engines with water, the T-9 appears to "gunk" up on me. Of course, this has developed over time. I've just gone back to YamaLube for the engines and T-9 on everything else.

You can clean the engine bay with some Simple Green and a light rinse. I haven't tried the Hot Sauce line @Speedling mentioned, but I hear it's awesome.

Also, being you're in the salt water like me, make sure to spray some YamaLube, or whatever, on all of your clamps in the transom. I've just found a couple broken ones. I've replaced them with SS clamps and sprayed them down with T-9.

ripndip

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I usually use T-9 on my engines. However, what I've recently discovered is when I LIGHTLY rinse the engines with water, the T-9 appears to "gunk" up on me. Of course, this has developed over time. I've just gone back to YamaLube for the engines and T-9 on everything else.

You can clean the engine bay with some Simple Green and a light rinse. I haven't tried the Hot Sauce line @Speedling mentioned, but I hear it's awesome.

Also, being you're in the salt water like me, make sure to spray some YamaLube, or whatever, on all of your clamps in the transom. I've just found a couple broken ones. I've replaced them with SS clamps and sprayed them down with T-9.
What clamps are you speaking of ? And should I clean the engine bay after every use ? I've been using the Yamaha silicone spray on the pump/ motor area under the transom , I spray one nice little coat over everything and after every couple of uses I open the engine bay and spray lightly everything with the Yamaha silicone spray as well.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
All the pinch clamps around all those rubber hoses. They are not stainless, or if they are, they are a cheaper grade and will rust over time.
I think many of us have found broken band clamps around the rubber exhaust piping under the cleanout tray and they just rust out and break!
SS ones from a hardware store don't cost much at all.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@ripndip your boat is new enough you shouldn't have to replace. ...yet. But definitely go ahead and spray them down for now. Sounds like you're already doing it right anyway, just get inside the area below the swim platform.

As far as cleaning the engine bay, I boat almost every weekend and I only rinsed the engine area about once a month. But since it's been gunking up my T-9, I stopped rinsing and just coat it with YamaLube.

Here's a pic of the 2 on my Scupper line. It only had one but I just added a new one and left the old one on.

There's probably 20 of them in there and they range in size. I bought SS Clamps from Ace Hardware.

Screenshot_2015-03-26-19-58-27.png

Last edited:

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @ripndip
I'm 100 miles to your West in Naples and boat in the same condition. Here's some salty tips..... Keep the salt out of the boat. Rinse or dry off your swimmers and toys. Installing a fresh water tank helps a lot! After your day of fun make sure to hose down everything. That includes the motors and engine bay. Open all plugs and get that water out. The more dry your boat when it's covered, the better. Before your next run or when the motors are dry, spray them with T9 or similar.

Most importantly you'll need to flush your motor(s) with Salt-a-Way. Flush the motors with straight water for 3 minutes then switch the mixer over to flush with the blue solution. When the bowl gets half as blue as the undiluted salt-a-way......turn off the water then the motor. You want to leave a good amount of the salt-a-way solution in the motors to protect your cooling jackets.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, and like @Murf'n'surf said, I too use Salt - Away after every few outings. Forgot to mention that.

Christian Rodriguez

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Never get much water in there except when I clean the boat. I hose it down completely when it's cool and run the bilge, and jack up the boat with a hilift jack since my driveway is inclined and let it all drain out. Then I cover it leaving the engine hatch open to prevent any humidity, or some damp rid. Once or twice a month I'll spray it all down with silicone spray.

Last edited:

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never get any water in the engine bay, totally dry after 18 months ownership. I too sprayed my engine in T9 and it still looks new. I do periodically spray the exterior of the jet pump in T9, and that still looks A1.
As suggested flush with salt away after every use, but good tip @Murf'n'surf about leaving a slight mix before you shut down, I'll start doing that in my regime from now on :thumbsup:.

Karen

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Just bought the 2014 AR192 and the dealer said no problem keeping it in the salt water dock for the season June to September. He said I just will need to service once a month instead of once a year. Is he full of it?
I have not yet put it in and don't really want to invest in an expensive lift but don't want to be launching and trailoring while I pay for a dock slip. He painted the bottom and said he will explain how to maintain it but now I am really worried about wrecking it. HELP?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Karen it's highly recommended not to leave these jetboats in the water for more than a few days at a time. That's been the rule I've read here since I bought my jetboat. Has to do with the jet pumps from what I understand. However, there are some members here that leave theirs in the water for periods of time. Maybe they can chime in on their experience or their process.