• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Proper Fender Line Knot

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So not new to boating, but new to boat ownership. As Ive been getting mine ready for the season I was getting my fenders and lines pre-knoted so they are the correct height for each cleat so that the wife/kids can help and not know much more than stringing a knot around the cleat. As I was staring at my new fenders and lines I had no idea the correct way. I think this is right, but didnt want to look amateur on the lake. The lines I got have a small loop on 1 end and just a straight cut bitter end. So I used the small loop to secure the line to the fender. And then tied a clove hitch on the other end at the right height to slip the loop of the clove hitch thru the cleat from the bottom and then that loop goes around both ends of the cleat. That correct? Is there anything to do with the extra line after the knot? Cool way to knot it up? Rather not cut or hang sloppily.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use Fender Tender II to hang my fenders where ever I need them. I have found the cleats are typically to low to allow the fenders to provide proper protection. I hang the mid-boat fender from the window frame at the driver or passenger location and on the rear I hang it off the grab rail located just aft of the window.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting, because I did feel like the cleat was a little low, my knot was pretty much right at the fender.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The height at which I need to hang fenders always changes (diff. boats/docks/etc) so I never put a set loop in the fender lines to secure it to the cleat. I just leave it and tie it off to the cleat at whatever height the situation calls for.

I do agree that the mid-boat cleat is always low for a fender, so I usually tie that one tight to the cleat (as high as it would go), or tie it to the cross beam on the tower to get it up a little higher if needed. I did also buy a pair of hull hunger fenders for certain situations where that middle cleat just doesn't work well. Nice to have options...

I think if I were to change anything I would switch my fender lines out to use that parachute cord (really thin line). I'm always trying to use a single cleat for a fender and a dock line and having 2 thick ropes on the same cleat just doesn't work.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use paracord for my fenders to hang off cleat at midships and rigged act end with a carabiner to hang at the rear grab handle. The paracord let's me hang both fender and also tie up the dock lines.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wasn't a fan of the options for hanging fenders either. I added two of the Taylor Made Fender Locks to each side. They make it way easier for my wife / friends to hang the fenders for me.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok.. so at the risk of sounding like I don't know what I am doing... cause I dont... I have two fenders. When we dock at the lake I use the short loop rope attached to it and hook them to the aft and middle cleats.... this seems to work well on the lakes we go to but I am going on the Charleston run where we will tie the boat up at night and leave it. After reading this I feel woefully unprepared!

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok.. so at the risk of sounding like I don't know what I am doing... cause I dont... I have two fenders. When we dock at the lake I use the short loop rope attached to it and hook them to the aft and middle cleats.... this seems to work well on the lakes we go to but I am going on the Charleston run where we will tie the boat up at night and leave it. After reading this I feel woefully unprepared!
For about $10 for a pair, I would pick up the Fender Tender II, they give you plenty of flexibility on different tie up conditions. If you don't ever use them, $10 shouldn't break the bank.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Agreed... ! Do I need to pick up some rope with them? I have the nylon lies I tie the boat with but none to extend the rope on the fenders.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Agreed... ! Do I need to pick up some rope with them? I have the nylon lies I tie the boat with but none to extend the rope on the fenders.
I would, you should only need the 3 or 4' long lines.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is where and about the height I hang my fenders, I like about 1/4 of the fender above the rub rail.

albett3

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I also have a couple of the Fender Tenders. They work great.

Mike T

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
I'll have to add these to my list too.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Another vote here for the Fender Tenders. I set the line in them and then marked them on the top 'fore', 'mid', 'aft' so that the crew easily knows which one goes where. I have found that I frequently need to adjust the height, but that is no issue with the FT. And having them identified for where they go means that they start out at least close.

Oh, and I would recommend a third fender. I have 3. Yes, I never really hit the forward one. But a) it is cheap insurance against that bump, b) it is always good to have a spare, and c) they can come in handy to give to a crewperson to drop between the boat and that thing you are going to hit. Far better than a crewperson hand.

jarozi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Fender grips have reduced my docking stress quite a bit and anyone, kids, wife and friends, can use them...

http://www.fendergrip.com/

Amazon had them for around $16 when I ordered them.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I use fender tenders as well...it's easy for others to secure them to either a hand railing or the window frame and I can also tell if they're hanging properly at a glance. I've also moved to having two fender colors. Whites without fender tenders go on the bow rail (they are only used as insurance for the docking process then usually come back in); blue fenders are mid-ships and the white with the fender tenders are for the stern. This seems to make it easy for the crew to know what goes where easily.