• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Proper way to trailer with cover on ???

Mcollins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello fellow jet boaters, I have a 2009 Yamaha SX 230 and just bought a new cover. It came with brand new poles to keep water from pooling, am I suppose to use them when trailering it down the road or no ? Don’t want to ruin my new cover $750 is a lot but it’s really nice . Any help or info would be great !

brddog

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I trailer every time to the lake and leave the cover on. I don't use the pooling poles and I have cut swim noodles to go over the windshield edge at the top. No signs of wear.

Mcollins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok great, thank you very much for the help!!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Lots of debatable topics on this. I don't tow with the poles on because one time I did and got caught in a big storm only to have the front of my cover start to tear around the bow navigation light from the extra stress the poles cause. A beach ball on the bow cushions is less stressful and allows for any water to shed off should it rain on you.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When trailering, I leave the poles and straps in but leave the poles down.

Mcollins

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So what is the purpose for doing that ?

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are two vents on either side of the cover. These create a vacuum under the cover when driving. If you leave the poles up, there is too much tension on the cover and it can rip. If you remove them entirely, there is too little support for the cover when it gets sucked down. Plus, as @mdchachi mentioned above, It's easier to just move the poles a little than it is to completely remove them when trailering.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As others have said, remove (or lower) the poles while towing. This will remove a pressure point that will eventually eat through your cover. Some people will install the pole straps and left them collapsed on the floor before towing. This is useful if you're going to be on a multi-day tow and anticipate rain over night as it makes it easier to put the poles up.

As a side note, I was caught in a torrential thunderstorm while towing and the water completely rolled off the cover while the boat is moving. Even when we got caught in a traffic jam, the water mostly rolled off the cover and where it didn't it sloshed around.

A couple of things to note about the cover though:
1). as others have said, cut a swimming noodle and put it across the windshield (around the stopper especially on the center window) to reduce stress. Painters tape works well to keep it in place.

2). If you have Seadek in your boat, make sure to fold up a towel and put it under the foot of the anti pooling poles...this will keep them from compressing the Seadek while the cover is on