• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pump bearing went on starboard engine, removed pump, still getting small vibration

need4pwr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
My pump bearing went. I removed the pump and shaft. Saw that the shaft was sliding back and forth. Currrently rebuilding the pump, but went to flush out the engine and still feel the starboard engine had slightly more vibration than the port. Wondering if something in the mid shaft failed. Splines are perfect on the removed shaft, with no signs of damage.

Is there a way to check the intermediate shaft? Anyone run into this before?

Thanks
John

need4pwr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Thank you, I just replaced them a couple of weeks ago. I will check the gap.

John

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did the bearing(s) fail at the front or rear of the shaft?

Was the impeller damaged? I recently replaced my impellers and found that the new factory impellers were drilled for balance. You might try running the engine without the impeller or even without the pump to see if the vibration goes away.

need4pwr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Hi Bruce,
The rear bearing failed, causing the shaft/prop to slide forward and back. Impeller is perfect, no damage. I ran the engines without the shaft, although better, still slight vibration.

John

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My experience after replacing the rear bearings was that the pump became nearly silent making the engine noise much more apparent.

need4pwr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Put the pump back on, running good now. Now have an issue with the "no wake" mode. Lowered the idle, got it to work, but not like the port side and they way it used to.