• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pump housing and wetslip related maintenance

ks9mm

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
HI All,

I am wet slipping my boat over the summer (Lake fresh water) and there is some discoloration on the pump housing and it got worse after acid washing.

I am thinking to take entire pump assembly including ride plates off, sand blast and powder coat them to protect from corrosion/discoloration in the future. what are your thoughts on this?

I wouldn't worry about discoloration if you are wet slipping your boat. Acid wash it after the season and call it good.

I wouldn't worry about discoloration if you are wet slipping your boat. Acid wash it after the season and call it good.

its not that I worry.. it's that I try to keep the boat looking like new LOL and that discoloration is driving me crazy...

so I was thinking to powder coat it to keep it nice and clean looking.. I am due to take pumps apart for maintenance and good cleaning anyhow

The powder coating will get water behind it and flake off probably quickly due to being submerged all of the time.

yes powder coating is terrible for corrosion control and not meant for below the waterline. the grey coating yamaha uses is a type of epoxy. epoxy is the only thing that is 100% waterproof and will work on a boat underwater. big ship hulls are done in epoxy. i would not remove what yamaha has on there. i blasted and recoated the pumps on my last boat but it was older and not coated from the factory. i blasted and applied black epoxy primer. with all that said, if your wet slipping then you cant see the pumps anyway until you haul the boat out. my boat is wet slipped in fresh water and i haul it about every 6-8 weeks, power and acid wash the bottom and pumps. everything looks like new when im done.

Back