• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX195 Jet pump housing pitting/cavitation issue.

Bajabugger92

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Hey guys, bought my first boat in January, a 2017 Yamaha SX195, I believe it used to be a rental seeing that it has 630 hours on it. Needed a bit of wrenching here and there but overall it has been a blast, taking it out almost every weekend since May, especially since it’s my first experience boating.

This past weekend I took it out and it was the first time being fully loaded with 8 people, full tank of gas pulling tubes and wakeboards and was the first time I noticed performance was significantly missing. When trying to hole shot or accelerate thru turns the rpms would shoot up to 8k and would not accelerate for several seconds until I was just barely on plane and then the rpms would settle down to 6-7k. Kind of like a clutch slipping in a car. I checked and there was nothing stuck in the clean out ports. I did take the boat out that same day without any passengers and performance was back to normal hitting 45+ mph. Cavitation was the thing that came to mind.

Came home and took the impeller housing off to see that that there is some sealant missing in the joints and some hanging down into the path of the impeller. Nothing that can’t be easily trimmed, sealed and smoothed. The things i wasn’t sure how to tackle was the significant pitting/corrosion you see in the housing right before the wear ring (as you can see in the photos). It also looks like there is a pretty good lip at the top and bottom where the intake duct meets the transom plate because they aren’t lined up as well as they should be. I loosened the nuts and bolts holding the transom plate to try and move and line them up better but the plate is pretty well sealed to the hull so I decided to not mess around with that anymore and am just going to use sealant to make a smooth transition where the lip is.

My question: What should I do about that pitting? I’ve already sanded down all the corrosion and high spots but should I try and fill them with 4200/5200 or maybe even some JB weld? I’m not looking to replace parts, more of a quick fix to try and gain a little more performance while pulling fully loaded.

Any input will be appreciated, this site has been a great resource.
E76E4821-9AB4-4311-A582-556E0665560D.jpeg
8A640BF9-B7CF-4B5F-A5B9-2DE4FD8CECE0.jpeg
DB306966-D202-4881-98C0-3B19082070B0.jpeg
6A35AC61-803C-41B0-AA0B-292262971A92.jpeg