• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Purchase of a 2015 242 Limited S

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok guys and gals, we are looking at buying a 2015 242. The price is 48800. It has the galvanized trailer and 114 hrs. Photos of the boat appear great. Our main concern is that it has been all salt water use. Boat has always been on the lift but when I asked the broker the owners procedure for flushing he was unsure. After he reached out to the owner they told him they flushed it most times with fresh water only. Should I be concerned at all? The boat is in Jersey and I would be driving down from Maine to pick it up so I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. As always any help or comments are appreciated and wanted. Can't wait to be back on the water!

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
If they only flushed it "most" times (whatever that means), and only used fresh water and not salt away, I would be hesitant. I had an I/O at one time that had only been in salt water a few times, but was not always flushed and salt away wasnt used. It took a long time, but eventually I had problems that were caused by the salt water.

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If they only flushed it "most" times (whatever that means), and only used fresh water and not salt away, I would be hesitant. I had an I/O at one time that had only been in salt water a few times, but was not always flushed and salt away wasnt used. It took a long time, but eventually I had problems that were caused by the salt water.
So I did ask the broker if he could get me in touch with owner so that I could ask him specifically about what his routine was. He is going to get me his contact info. They are also providing me with all the service records to include the most recent service when it was taken in. Really the only thing giving me pause is five years of salt water use without much info on the flushing routine.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If they were meticulous about the care and maintenance, as well as flushing after every use i would consider but not at 49000. Just being in a salt environment, the rest of the boat could show some other wear from the elements.
I would ask for detailed pics of the pumps, engines, cables, etc..

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If they were meticulous about the care and maintenance, as well as flushing after every use i would consider but not at 49000. Just being in a salt environment, the rest of the boat could show some other wear from the elements.
I would ask for detailed pics of the pumps, engines, cables, etc..
I have asked for pics of the pumps and the engines. They are going to cut a door into the shrink wrap so they can get the engine pics. One of my first questions was what the engines looked like. I love these boats but if it wasn’t maintained well in a salt environment it really could be detrimental to them.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Remember every aluminum and metal part like hinges, plates, hardware etc are exposed to the salt air. And that boat has had 7 years of exposure to the salt air which is just as bad as the water itself

Jp207

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Remember every aluminum and metal part like hinges, plates, hardware etc are exposed to the salt air. And that boat has had 7 years of exposure to the salt air which is just as bad as the water itself
I couldn’t agree more! That’s why I’m really hoping to get in touch with the current owner. I know how hard I worked keeping my boat clean in fresh water and also know how much harder I would have worked in salt water.