• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Purchasing a new to me 2015 223 VRX

mikeysotp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi Everyone,

Just joined. Driving 11 hours Friday night to do a sea trial on the boat. It has 67 hours on it and has been dry stored since new. It pretty much has everything including the ballast system, ASP extension, medallion screen, twin 200's, etc. The boat I'm being told is in prefect condition, but anything in particular I should be looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm buying it for a fairly weedy lake in VT and was really concerned but the more I read the more I'm thinking I made the right choice.

Thanks,

MIke

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Hi and :Welcome: to the forum.

Weeds are a PIA for all jet boats/skis. At different time of the year I deal with my fair share. I never gotten stuck (with this boat). My previous I was either pulling the plug a lot (if the reverse method did not work). With this boat, I have had to do the reverse move a couple times and it worked; then I was on my way.

Things to look for:
  • Confirm hours on each engine. At 200 hours the superchargers need to be rebuilt. $$$
  • How does each engine start and sound when started (marbles banging/clanging sound is normal)
  • How clean it is inside and outside
  • How old are the batteries, what kind are they (lead acid, AGM or lithium) and are they deep cycle
  • Is there an onboard charger (not std would be installed by owner)
  • Any water in haul
  • When was last oil/filter/plugs changed
  • confirm sound system - FM and Bluetooth, any amps installed
  • Medallion software version. 2.0 is the latest for Medallion 2
  • How much gas? What octane is it?
  • Check lights (bow and tower)
  • Anchor in bow (std)
  • Do blowers work
  • Does the bilge pump work?
  • Condition of step ladder
  • Check all door hinges and latches
  • Does 12v (cigarette) plug work
  • Any extra warranty (cause it ends in 2020)
  • Steering and throttle movement - smooth? These boats turn on a dime - be careful
  • How does it get on plane
  • What is it's top speed and at what RPMs
That's what I would look for. Good luck!

gulshome

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Figured out where and whom will be servicing it in the future. I have a 2015, and my dealer will no longer work on it, nor will anyone around me.

mikeysotp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks for the replies. I THINK I have a dealer that will work on it. I will confirm this week though to be sure.

The boat appears to be in very good condition as advertised. We used it for a couple of hours yesterday and all day today with no problems. It's currently at 76 hours so I would hope I have a bit before anything major. My first impressions:

-The thing handles like a Ferrari!
-It is nowhere near as loud as I expected.
-The layout is awesome, my wife had zero complaints and if you know my wife.....
-It has 8 speakers and a subwoofer which I would imagine uses a lot of juice when parked, so I'm thinking about a charger. Solar I guess?
-The throttle is very hard to operate at times and like butter at others. Some investigation is needed there.
-The bimini top is really easy to use. I saw the video for the newer ones and I don't know why they didn't keep this style!
-It is really hard to keep in a straight line in the no wake area.
-All in all we absolutely LOVE it!

Jet1733

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks for the replies. I THINK I have a dealer that will work on it. I will confirm this week though to be sure.

The boat appears to be in very good condition as advertised. We used it for a couple of hours yesterday and all day today with no problems. It's currently at 76 hours so I would hope I have a bit before anything major. My first impressions:

-The thing handles like a Ferrari!
-It is nowhere near as loud as I expected.
-The layout is awesome, my wife had zero complaints and if you know my wife.....
-It has 8 speakers and a subwoofer which I would imagine uses a lot of juice when parked, so I'm thinking about a charger. Solar I guess?
-The throttle is very hard to operate at times and like butter at others. Some investigation is needed there.
-The bimini top is really easy to use. I saw the video for the newer ones and I don't know why they didn't keep this style!
-It is really hard to keep in a straight line in the no wake area.
-All in all we absolutely LOVE it!
The straight line will come with practice. We bought a 223 and after about 8-10 hours I was pretty comfortable around a dock. Now it’s almost funny what you can make it do. It’s almost funny watching people’s expressions as you spin around and pull up to a pump/dock. Enjoy

Enduro900

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
That is strange as the BRP powered boats are all drive-by-wire???

Keep us posted on this, and if anyone else could chime in......

mikeysotp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
That is strange as the BRP powered boats are all drive-by-wire???

Keep us posted on this, and if anyone else could chime in......
That's what I thought, but it sure doesn't feel that way. I didn't get a chance to really troubleshoot it but it almost seems it has to do with where the wheel is pointed like somehow the steering bone is connected to the throttle bone.....

Jet1733

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Seeing more and more of the vrx's every weekend they are awesome boats. Been easy to do general maintenance as well.
Even though I only have 18 hours on my boat it’s been the most fun watercraft I’ve ever owned. From supercharged SeaDoos to a JC tri toon with a decent sized motor on the back. I compare it to a Jeep or old muscle car. When we stop people want to ask about it. Getting gas at the Exxon takes longer than a few minutes as I have to give people a walk around explaining. I learned quick to just say twin engines instead of twin 300s because that starts a new line of questions haha

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Even though I only have 18 hours on my boat it’s been the most fun watercraft I’ve ever owned. From supercharged SeaDoos to a JC tri toon with a decent sized motor on the back. I compare it to a Jeep or old muscle car. When we stop people want to ask about it. Getting gas at the Exxon takes longer than a few minutes as I have to give people a walk around explaining. I learned quick to just say twin engines instead of twin 300s because that starts a new line of questions haha
Does she haul ass with those twin 300’s? Do you have any pics to share?

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
jeepguy1733 on TikTok

Click on that Tik Tok link, that was 0-60 lol. It’s so crazy how responsive it is. I was afraid of fuel consumption but it’s not that bad.
Wow. My 212s is responsive and my supercharged Glastron GTS 187 was too, but that is impressive. That looks like one very fast boat!!

Jet1733

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Wow. My 212s is responsive and my supercharged Glastron GTS 187 was too, but that is impressive. That looks like one very fast boat!!
It has some pickup for sure. We really enjoyed the short summer we had with it