• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Purchasing new boat: compare 212SS, 212X, AR230

agannole93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Posted this in the general discussion but realize this may be the better place.

Hi all, I'm new here to the site and am curious to get some of the more experienced opinions. I purchased an 05 Bayliner 185 last year. We were new to boating, it was in great shape and picked it up for $5k so it was really too good of a deal to pass up and seemed like a good starter boat just in case we didn't use it a whole lot. Well we are out on the water almost weekly and I'm now in a position where I'd like to upgrade and have settled on yamaha, since it seems like a consensus great value all around great boat brand.

I'm looking to stay in the $15k range so am generally looking at 06 to 08 models. I've got 4 or 5 that I'm looking at. A couple of AR230's, one 212SS and a 212X. Does anyone have any opinions on pros and cons of each. My wife and I take out her younger siblings (11, 14 and 16 year olds) and occasionally have nieces and nephews who are under 6 that come out with us. Everyone wants to ride the tube and the older kids would probably enjoy learning how to begin wakeboarding and/or skiing. I'd like to get into something that when we have kids of our own we can kind of grow into as a family as well.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Jobiwan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The biggest difference will be in the size of the space you occupy. The 23 would have more room for you and the kids so that everyone is not on top of each other in my view. If you can get everyone you plan on having and go try a 21 or 23 out and see how it feels.