• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Putting back together a 1.8L after timing chain break. Need all relevant advice for getting Cyl 1 to TDC please!

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
OK, broke my chain at around 600 hours, a few weeks ago. Machine shop is installing all new valves and decking head, as needed. Should be ready today. The Yamaha tech I'd like to use is leaving for vacation and my season is fading. I'm reasonably handy and used to be a mechanic. Have built 1/4 mile cars, with turbos, superchargers, etc.

I'm hoping to put this engine back together, correctly, the first time. Need to get the #1 piston to TDC. I've been advised that tightening the cams in wrong order will bend valves or damage guides. I need all the advice I can get here to put it back together. Engine is still in the boat.

Links to pics and videos also appreciated! Thanks and have a great day!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm no mechanic and the page below is for the MR1 engine

doesn't your yamaha tech have a service manual that says this same thing for a 1.8L

If not, I'd go by a local jetski shop and ask them,

1692202439356.png

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@zelone

Here are a few links from YouTube. There are several others. I will take a look at my shop manual if you don’t have one.

good luck and sorry to welcome you to the club. I lost a chain at 506 hours.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Since the motor is still in the boat you can try and spin the motor to TDC with a strap wrench around the rear coupler. Then you can mark either the crank snout or coupler to verify it doesn't move. At that point once the head is torqued tighten down the cam with the dots matching the cam caps.