• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Putz of the day award goes to...

JetPowered

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Found this snippet interesting. I believe it to be primarily to clarify ROW with regards to sailboats.
But read the pard about 500 yard "large passenger vessel security and safety zone"

"DO SAILING VESSELS ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY OVER WASHINGTON STATE FERRIES?
By: Mark E. Ashley
Director Vessel Traffic Service Puget Sound, U. S. Coast Guard Sector Puget Sound"

http://ptyc.net/wp-content/uploads/Do-Sailing-Vessels-Always-Have-the-Right-of-Way-Over-Ferries-.pdf

Sometimes a ferry may sound at least five short and rapid blasts on their whistle. This is known as the Danger signal and means that the ferry does not understand the actions or intentions of another vessel, or is in doubt whether sufficient action is being taken to avoid collision. If you are a sailing vessel operator and you hear this signal, chances are your actions (or inactions) have caused concern.

One other thing...a large passenger vessel security and safety zone has been established by 33 CFR 165.1317 within Puget Sound. This regulation applies to Washington State Ferries. The zone extends 500 yards around a moving ferry, and all vessels must operate at the minimum speed necessary to maintain a safe course (bare steerageway) and proceed as directed by the ferry master or on-scene Coast Guard patrol. No vessel or person is allowed within 100 yards of a ferry that is underway unless permission is granted by the ferry master or on-scene Coast Guard patrol. And finally, no vessel or person is allowed within 25 yards of a moored ferry. Although the Navigation Rules apply within a large passenger vessel security zone, a prudent sailing vessel operator will avoid encroaching on a large passenger vessel security and safety zone as far as is practicable.

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, "head":) probably had something to do with it.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If a large/commercial/restricted boat always took evasive actions when a small recreational vessel was headed into their right of way, the large boat would basically just have to stop and stay at anchor all day. I've seen way too many moron small boaters decide to that the main channel in front of a ginormous barge is a good place for a pee break.

a4effort

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If a large/commercial/restricted boat always took evasive actions when a small recreational vessel was headed into their right of way, the large boat would basically just have to stop and stay at anchor all day. I've seen way too many moron small boaters decide to that the main channel in front of a ginormous barge is a good place for a pee break.
Understandable, and I don't disagree with most of what you're saying. I based my comments on this one isolated incident with no knowledge of anything other than what I see in the video. I'm not sure that "I" would choose possibly injuring or even death to another because evasive action has become to much of a nuisance. I totally believe there are more and more morons on the water that put themselves and others at risk. It's aggravating for those of us that follow the rules. I just don't agree with dangerous life threatening resolve. It's easy to say screw em, they deserve what they get! ....until it's someone you know and it was in fact a mistake they would not normally make. If that moron that hit the ferry was killed, I'm sure there would be a pack of lawyers suing the ferry, and based on the video, my opinion is they would win. Right or wrong I believe that's what would happen. It's like saying "look, I'm on a roadway doing 70 mph which is the speed limit and this idiot was doing 30mph in front of me. I have the right of way and he was driving slow. I beeped my horn a bunch of times and the guy was not responding. Now it's too late for me to stop, so rather than try to avoid him, I ran my car right up his ass and forced him out of the way into the ditch" it's definitely what we feel like doing. But that doesn't make it right or okay.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I don't think anyone is saying "screw em" while at the helm. I certainly appreciate that we need to look out for our fellow boaters, inconvenient or otherwise, I just don't think many grasp the challenge the captains of the larger vessels face. I'm a recreational small boater, and I can appreciate the big difference in handling my 21' jet boat when it is empty vs when full of a few passenger and ballast. So magnify the heck out of that, and imagine how you need to command your vessel; it is not comparable to vehicles on the highway.

The ferry in this case is at least a few stories tall and puts out a massive tide change of a back wash after reverse, so it clearly must weigh tons and tons and tons and take absolutely forever to change course. The captain doesn't think "screw em" as he gets close to moron boater, he had to decide a 1/2 mile ago that (1) the small boat underway 1/2 mile ahead is captained by a moron, (2) the moron doesn't know what a navigable channel is, (3) the moron doesn't know rights of way on navigable channels, (4) the small boat is on autopilot, (5) the moron is below deck, (6) the moron is below deck pooping, (7) the moron is going to be really really hard of hearing should I signal repeatedly with my foghorn that you can hear well over 1 mile away.

malibu Dan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
As a northwesterner I can tell you these Ferries are quite big and slow to correct course... Spatty is spot on....

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Even common sense says that big slow to stop or turn vessels have right of way. No shouting "I'm on port tack". Our local BC ferries occasionally run down stupid boaters in the narrow channels. Cam.