• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pyramid NS-12 Noise Suppressor

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe this device is intended to remove alternator whine from the power supply to a stereo.

I bought it hoping that it would help with a hum when using the aux input with a source connected to the boats 12 volt system. A noise isolator added to the RCA cables solved the problem. I did not notice any difference using this noise suppressor.

I could not find any info on what the device was or how it was supposed to work so I decided to open it up. Looks like a ferrite choke and two caps that connect to ground. The larger cap is on the supply side and the smaller on the side that feeds the stereo.

I feel like it would bleed voltage to the ground?

Does anyone have thoughts on whether there would be any value in installing it? I am thinking not.

Attachments

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
No, it's not bleeding DC voltage to ground.
There might be a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of momentary dissipation by those small caps upon turn-off. Like a single grain of sand on a 100 miles of coast line.
The caps (in parallel) allow AC ripple to pass but will not pass DC. Simple shunt.
The inductor (in series) has a high impedance to AC frequencies thus blocking them. Simple choke.
No value in adding it since it doesn't remedy the issue.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Glad to hear the noise isolator worked for you @Bruce . Just ordered one for my wetsounds BT controller in the 1/8" variety, and hope it works for me as well!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ordered a noise suppressor from Amazon that had excellent reviews and claimed to boost the output level. It worked to block the noise but unfortunately reduced the signal level many decibels.

The USB sound card that I am using with the Raspberry Pi to play audio has a Toslink optical output. In September I ordered a Digital Toslink to Analog adapter that came with a USB power cable and a Tosllink cable for $9. I finally got around to connecting it today. The output level from the adapter is equivalent or higher than that from the sound card. So this may be the perfect solution for my noise issue.

Now that Pi is working correctly I will writeup the complete system which stores music and allows anyone on or near the boat to choose music and control volume from their phone.

I had a number of threads when I was looking to suppress the noise so I am updating all of them.

The UPC of the unbranded Toslink Adapter that I am using is 713665000703.

toslink.jpg