• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

Question about adding an onboard charger

Jerlane

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2014 AR190 with two batteries connected via a Blue Seas add a battery with an ACR. My question is if I add an on board charger, will a single bank charger charge both batteries at the same time via the ACR if the battery switch is in the off position or should I simply get a two bank charger and hook up each battery individually.
I that makes sense.

Thanks for the input!

I have a 2014 AR190 with two batteries connected via a Blue Seas add a battery with an ACR. My question is if I add an on board charger, will a single bank charger charge both batteries at the same time via the ACR if the battery switch is in the off position or should I simply get a two bank charger and hook up each battery individually.
Either way will work, but if you get a two bank charger, you will need to disable the ACR otherwise the two batteries will be connected like a single bank and defeats the purpose - adding a simple switch to cut it off when charging will work.

I have a 4 bank MnKota charger. My trolling motor batteries are hooked up in series to make them 24 volt. The MnKota charger is connected individually to both batteries. I believe it is actually charging both batteries independently. Am I wrong?

I have a 4 bank MnKota charger. My trolling motor batteries are hooked up in series to make them 24 volt. The MnKota charger is connected individually to both batteries. I believe it is actually charging both batteries independently. Am I wrong?
Unfortunately yes, series or parallel is "seen" by a charger as one bank or battery. You can connect them individually but each bank is not an individual circuit to the charger since they're wired together. You need a heavy duty battery switch to isolate the individual batteries when being charged in this manner with a multi-bank charger, one large enough to carry the current when you close the switch to use the batteries together for your trolling motor.

If the batteries are the same type and age, they're probably pretty close in charge level and can easily be charged as a single bank together so probably no harm done. You can remove the extra charging terminals and it'll charge the same. You can then use the extra charging terminals for something else if needed.

I have a single bank charger and charge my start and house batteries together without issue. Once my house gets worn out (probably in the next couple years) I'll change to a two bank charger and install a switch on the ground for the DVSR to isolate the batteries. The new one will be a deep cycle and will need it's own charging circuit.

Jerlane I have a 2017 212 limited s with a house and start battery. I’ve done the “loop cut mod” on the arc so it will only function with a key in the on position. I added a third battery, replaced the house switch with a 1 2 both off switch, and have a 3 bank minkota charger. With all switches off each bank charges each battery independently. A single bank without the loop mod will charge both, but I like each battery getting individual attention. There are many ways to skin a cat, you’ll find what works best for you.also, I have all bet switches and acr

Thanks for all the replies! Anyone have pictures of where they mounted the charging port on the hull?

I just recently mounted my port on the port side of the boat.

Power-Plug.jpg

Honestly I opted not to put another hole in the fiberglass and fished the plug to be accessed under the port aft seat. (And apparently haven’t taken pictures of the install ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Back