• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question about small defect in gelcoat

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Looking at a new 2023 222 SE leftover. Upon inspection I noticed a small dimple in the gelcoat approximately where the Red X is on the picture. It looks like the boat has a “zit”. It’s not big at all but you can see it in the black gelcoat. I pushed on it and it’s not soft or anything it’s literally like something was in the mold. Has anyone seen anything like this and is an issue?
IMG_1938.jpeg

steelhorse454

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey Rushfan....Same fan here.....RIP Neil! Lived in Raleigh 30 plus years myself.
So, I have seen some folks on this forum complain about bubbles and blistering but mainly when leaving the boat in the water or on a lift. I have also seen some complaints here with dealers making these repairs and not being done correctly per Yamaha.
Just some information for you to ponder as I'm sure you will get many responses here......
I suggest checking out the entire hull by crawling around underneath, etc., and asking the dealer to put any areas in question in writing and provide a written guarantee on any repairs. And...get enough of a discount if possible. With all this being said, any blemishes will show up more on black than any other color. This is why I chose a white hull. Good Luck !

Rushfan67

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Other
Boat Model
222S
Boat Length
Hey Steelhorse454, glad to meet another Rush fan! The boat is still in the running, however I just came across a heck of a deal on a 2023 222XE and even though we don’t wake board the deal might be hard to pass up. My wife likes the colors and interior of the XE better. Thank you for your response!

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What dealer are these at? Just realized you're in NC. There's def some dealers I would stay away from. If it's Chatlee I've heard nothing but good things about them, even an old mechanic that worked there had positive things to say about them. Only heard one or two negative reviews from them. Performance east is fantastic during the purchase process, buuuuuuut not so great after the fact if you need warranty work.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It happens but the repair may be worse than the defect. I would check on the inside of the hull and make sure nobody ran a screw from the inside and you are seeing the screw pushing out a dimple.