• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question about the Sea-Doo Utopia 205

JTFL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'm in the market for a bigger boat, they are slim pickings right now.

My choices in the Sea-Doo line (I don't want 2 stroke, or electronic throttle modules) are,

Challenger 180 ? It might be too small still, I have to think of chop in the Gulf.

I enjoyed the Sportser 215 SCIC in the Gulf. It was a lot of fun in the common 1-2 foot chop range, but not fun for anyone else, not a good Gulf family boat. Best as a jetski on steroids ish.

Utopia 205.

Speedster 200.

Challenger 230.

I favor the seating (for passenger comfort) of the Utopia and Challenger 230 and the weight of the 230. I favor the controls of the Speedster.

Here are my observations, though I would rather have separate throttle control for each engine so they can be properly dialed in like the Speedster 200 has, it appears the Challenger 230 is at least using 1 stick for throttle (2 cables attached to both throttle bodies) and 1 stick for both reverse thrust vectors. This still allows the operator to be able to "hover" by adjusting the right amount of reverse thrust angle to truly control or find true or balanced neutral.

(I have taught my kids how to have complete control at the docks by using buoys to train them to have the bow pointed always toward the buoy but moving around left and right without forward or reverse motion). This is the beauty of jets, control and shallow operation.

The Utopia confusses me with only 1 stick, that means there are 4 cables attached to it's function, can this boat be brought into "hover" with 1 stick? My concern is that the stick can only be in forward, reverse, or neutral as positions, and without balance, since neutral does not exist like a prop boat with a transmission. Does anyone have experience with this particular boat that can answer the question of "hover" for me before driving long distances and wasting my time on it?

Any input is very appreciated, thank you.

I'm in the market for a bigger boat, they are slim pickings right now.

My choices in the Sea-Doo line (I don't want 2 stroke, or electronic throttle modules) are,

Challenger 180 ? It might be too small still, I have to think of chop in the Gulf.

I enjoyed the Sportser 215 SCIC in the Gulf. It was a lot of fun in the common 1-2 foot chop range, but not fun for anyone else, not a good Gulf family boat. Best as a jetski on steroids ish.

Utopia 205.

Speedster 200.

Challenger 230.

I favor the seating (for passenger comfort) of the Utopia and Challenger 230 and the weight of the 230. I favor the controls of the Speedster.

Here are my observations, though I would rather have separate throttle control for each engine so they can be properly dialed in like the Speedster 200 has, it appears the Challenger 230 is at least using 1 stick for throttle (2 cables attached to both throttle bodies) and 1 stick for both reverse thrust vectors. This still allows the operator to be able to "hover" by adjusting the right amount of reverse thrust angle to truly control or find true or balanced neutral.

(I have taught my kids how to have complete control at the docks by using buoys to train them to have the bow pointed always toward the buoy but moving around left and right without forward or reverse motion). This is the beauty of jets, control and shallow operation.

The Utopia confusses me with only 1 stick, that means there are 4 cables attached to it's function, can this boat be brought into "hover" with 1 stick? My concern is that the stick can only be in forward, reverse, or neutral as positions, and without balance, since neutral does not exist like a prop boat with a transmission. Does anyone have experience with this particular boat that can answer the question of "hover" for me before driving long distances and wasting my time on it?

Any input is very appreciated, thank you.

i just picked up a used Challenger 210SE with twin 215’s. Frankly i love the single-lever operation, and i can adjust “neutral” based on the winds and current by sliding the lever out of neutral-lock slowly towards reverse and hold the boat still/hover.

And the docking mode, ski mode, eco mode and cruise mode all work great.

Thank you Enduro for responding, but I'm still stuck, because, although this function with the single stick on your Challenger 210 actually makes sense to me, because your system is fly-by-wire (electronic throttle modules/ETM, and remote control), that is different than the Utopia design.

The Utopia has manual throttle cables and operation (no ETM), which originally were controlling just a single Merc engine (on which single stick operation would still make sense to me)... BUT, then Sea Doo changed things up and made some Utopia models that have TWO engines (two 4-tec engines), rather than just one Merc. And here's where my confusion comes in (in case I didn't explain as well before).

So, you have described the single stick control well that I'm looking at, but what I'm trying to figure out is how are there 4 main cables attached to one stick, one for each engine, and one for each reverse thruster, and whether you are still able to glide the stick between neutral and reverse as needed to "hover" and not affect engine speed? Or do you lose control of engine speed when in neutral to reverse?

It would help me to know in advance if I can reasonably include the Utopia 205 in my search, which increases my options or eliminate it and be more patient for a local Speedster 200 or Challenger 230 to show up.

Sorry I was just trying to add to your possible upgrades rather than explain the Utopia one-stick control. I would have to think they used cable splitters and the “sync” rpms a person may have to “manually cable adjust”. But otherwise I have no idea (I too was looking at the 4-tec Utopia, older Challenger 230’s and 200 speedsters….BUT I wanted something the wife could feel comfortable driving and she did NOT want anything with 2-3 levers LOL…..

I’m up in Michigan, I know there are some Speedsteer 200’s and challenger 230’s on marketplace around here. Most likely these would be fresh-water their whole lives ( I made a mistake 20 years ago buying an outboard while on a FL visit as I didnt know how hard saltwater is on boats down there). Very expensive mistake. If you needed some help and/or a place to store for a week or two (assuming you wanted to travel this far for a boat) I could probably assist in some way.

I will let you know I just bought a boat 7hrs away from pictures and the word of the seller (2nd owner and owned it for 5 years/100hrs). No sea trial, or mechanical inspection first just a hand-off on the highway half-way. I’ve had it out about 5 times in two weeks without any issues so I guess I’m lucky as its clear they didnt sell it with any issues.

Thank you for such a timely reply, and a good chuckle with your wife's concerns but I can appreciate them, I think you get my confusion here, though it doesn't clear it up, it's nice to have some validation in the question. I have thought hard about travel up north for a fresh water boat and for me it might be too far to travel, when I was 30, sure, now, not so much.

Your right though, the salt water is hard on boats and it makes the process more difficult when an owner says "properly salt water cared for" and you travel up to 3 hrs to see the pump corrosion fused and exhaust probably rotted, a real waste of everyone's time, but there are boat owners that do take care of their boats, just need to find it.

Thank you for the offer of assistance, and that's an interesting story of "sight-UN-seen" and a "hand-off", wow. Jet skis both sitdown and stand up have been in my family for years and I grew up with sailing yachts and Hobie Cats, I've never bought like you did but even a sea trial doesn't garantee a good buy, like a 2001 Polaris Virage TXi I bought in 2003, with the old Ficht direct injection, when it ran it ran great, but most of the time it ran, was on the trailer not in the water.... :)but sounds like you clearly found a good boat for you and your family.

Thank you for such a timely reply, and a good chuckle with your wife's concerns but I can appreciate them, I think you get my confusion here, though it doesn't clear it up, it's nice to have some validation in the question. I have thought hard about travel up north for a fresh water boat and for me it might be too far to travel, when I was 30, sure, now, not so much.

Your right though, the salt water is hard on boats and it makes the process more difficult when an owner says "properly salt water cared for" and you travel up to 3 hrs to see the pump corrosion fused and exhaust probably rotted, a real waste of everyone's time, but there are boat owners that do take care of their boats, just need to find it.

Thank you for the offer of assistance, and that's an interesting story of "sight-UN-seen" and a "hand-off", wow. Jet skis both sitdown and stand up have been in my family for years and I grew up with sailing yachts and Hobie Cats, I've never bought like you did but even a sea trial doesn't garantee a good buy, like a 2001 Polaris Virage TXi I bought in 2003, with the old Ficht direct injection, when it ran it ran great, but most of the time it ran, was on the trailer not in the water.... :)but sounds like you clearly found a good boat for you and your family.

I hear you about the drive…..in fact the guy drove 2/3 of the 7 hrs to meet me…….and i still got a hotel room to split up my drive lol….

We were looking for 10-15 years for property up in Northern Michigan that we could boat in the summer and ride snowmobiles in the winter. Almost bought property about 5 years ago 6 hours from home but backed out. We ended up buying property less than 2 hours away this spring…I just cant do the long weekend drives anymore……

Good luck and let me know when you find something for your family!

Upgrade,

I bought a 2008 SeaDoo 230 with twin 155's and a new aluminum Karavan trailer. My family and I really like the boat, and I'm so impressed with it's ability to handle Gulf chop with ease.

With my old Sportster 215 I felt every MPH, for good and bad, this 230 is heavy enough that speed creeps on you. I didn't mind the sportster and its performance but the family is now trying to find excuses to come out on the water in the 230... and for me it's about smiles per mile and the 230 delivers.

I want to thank all that helped me and contributed to my purchase decision approximately a month ago, and this boat was Georgia fresh water.

Back