• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Question for Battery Gurus

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So I am close to getting out on my boat. Preseason set up is to go down and top off the batteries and get a full over night charge. This time I was doing some cleaning after I enabled the charger and this is what I found.
Is this normal

Uhmm. No it's not. If they are sealed batteries there should be a tiny vent tube but no battery acid and bubbles coming out!!

Edit. Ok I looked at the vid on a bigger screen. It looks like they aren't sealed and the fact you said you added water. Did you add distilled water? There will be some gas venting but it should not be coming from that sealed joint.

Last edited:
Not normal. Did you add water? The water should only be just above the plates (need flashlight to look in).

If your battery has any bulges in the sides or is very hot while charging then it's time for a new one!

if you pop the 2 covers off the top you can check the water level. If it's too high it will ooze out the caps as you charge.

Edit--- I just watched the video with audio and heard that you filled the water up. I think you overfilled.

so how do you know how much is enough?? Just over the plates to me says Im gonna dry out that cell

Man thats hard to get. I have been over filling my batteries for years then. Looks like I will have some clean up to do tomorrow

Most (every?--I haven't seen one yet that does not) non-sealed batteries will have gauges that are built into the refill ports to tell you how far to fill the battery. If you look down the hole of a refill port, you will notice that the sides reach down into the battery. That is your level gauge. You fill with distilled water up until the water hits the bottom that gauge. A millimeter or so more will not hurt you; more than that and you will get leakage...

Bob, @Evil Sports , battery fill level is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS. But it is what it is, and that is why I use AGM batteries. You definitely don't want electrolyte in the boat. "just above the plates" means just that. Literally as you fill, once the level is level with the plates STOP filling. But, because our batteries live on a charger most of the time, checking them every month is important to do. Not something everyone wants to do, but is normal maintenance. So the average guy overfills to bottom of the fill neck. When the charge, they will bubble and leak at that level. So you have to keep them lower than that to keep them dry. I have 6 batteries on the new to me RV. I have a battery watering system that came with it. I have used it once and so far, it works well and appears to be a way to keep them topped off while on charge 24/7. This isn't the brand I have but it works the same. Apparently you can't overfill using one of these systems and you don't have to pull the batteries out to fill them, nor do you even have to open a cap and look.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/qwik-fill-dual-12-volt-battery-watering-system/27037
Note that the filler bulb is sold separately, don' t get that, but even the one I have has two separate packages it came in, filler bulb and tubing, and kit for the batteries. Anyway, might be an easier solution for those that don't want to remove or check them as often.

Well I have electrolyte in the boat now, what do I do to get it out

Do you have access to a SpotBot? Or a similar carpet steam cleaner thingy? Use lots of water.

Failing that, a wet/dry vac and a spray bottle or garden sprayer.

I think the key will be to water down the electrolyte and suck it up, at any rate.

This is a good example where if using a plastic battery box rather than a battery tray would control battery acid leakage

Sprinkle with baking sofa

Baking soda, and a little water, work into a paste, let dry, sweep up and vacuum. It will come mostly clean.

Back