• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question for the seasoned wake surfers..

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We bought our boys a 5'6" liquid force fish to start wake surfing on a couple weeks ago. They both wakeboard,kneeboard,ski etc so they understand the concept. I know absolutely nothing about it other than what I've gleaned from YouTube and the web. My question is in ref to the fins. The board came with three and from what I've read the addition of them makes it easier for beginners to ride. However, install all of them (3) or does it make a difference in 2 vs 3? I just want to set them up for the greatest chance at learning and being successful with it.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
To start I would just put all three in that way the board will track more straight for the until they get the hang of it. After a bit I would start by taking out the middle fin to give them a bit looser ride. To start it won't make that much of a difference, and they won't notice much either when you start removing fins. With a smaller board it might be more noticeable with fewer fins, but with one over 5' it really won't feel that much different.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought the same board 3 weeks ago to give them the max chance for success and love it, my 9, 12 and 15 year old all got up the first time although they were a little wiggly at first, I would leave all the fins on as rightstuff said to track straighter,

Make sure their heels are centered on the board when laying in the water and keep it horizontal to the boat on start up, another rider kept to much weight on his rear foot and the board kept digging in the back and he couldn't get enough weight on his forward foot to get up, once we placed his feet on the board he got the idea and got up the next time,

I think if they can get up on the wakeboard the surf board is just as easy if not easier, it just seems different not having your feet strapped in, just go real slow starting out,

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Speed around 10 mph? Also is one side of our boats better to surf on? I thought I had read someone saying the port side wake was better?

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's about what speed we end up at, but for me I look at the rpms and the wake more than mph. Side of the boat is really rider preference, but port side is the most common, kinda depends on what foot they want in front. Whichever it is, face the center line of the wake with that foot in front.

If you are having problems getting up from in the water we just launch from the swim platform, just remind the surfer to not fall into the back of the boat if they do fall before getting far enough away from the boat.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I agree with all of the comments except swim deck starting..... I don't do it, like it, etc. Just personal opinion, it is harsh on the board. That is a leverage point and has the potential to weaken the board and if you look will void the warranty on most boards. Not bashing people that do it just stating personal opinion, again. Water starting is super easy, I always set my feet on the board and right before the boat takes off I roll board to my feet and smooth sailing from there. As @Scottintexas said getting up on a surf board is MUCH easier then getting up on a wakeboard.

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@jcyamaharider, if I didn't have the hull design that I do with having the swim platform so close to the water surface I wouldn't do the swim platform start either. I know on the '08 it's a much higher drop to the water, so I can see where that would not be a good idea.

In any case, definitely a good warning.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@RightStuff that is a good point you make about the newer hulls.....less stress on the board but still a little stress.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Craig,
We want to see pictures of your boys surfing. I am confident they will pick it up fast. Just about every weekend we take out someone new and get them up for the first time. Soon you will be doing the same with your kids friends. Remember to tell them not to let the rope go between their legs at any time. Assign someone to sit in the corner and be the "rope master". Their job is to get the rope out of the water when the surfer goes down. It is a great sport that keeps everyone involved.

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Will do, thanks for all the responses and advice. We're starting vacation Sunday, be on the water Monday and coming back Friday. We plan to spend most of the week on the lake, and to take lots of pictures. To be honest I think I'm more excited about them wake surfing than I was about other watersports:winkingthumbsup". I would love to try it myself.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Craig watch my video from hopeless to ropeless in the general discussion catagory to see how fun it is!

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@bobbie , I have watched your video (and several others on this forum). My 14 year old can't stand it, he is so excited to try it. I'm looking forward to that "aha" moment when he gets it and that ear to ear smile that follows.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Craig my 15 year old stepson was able to get up and go ropeless on the liquid force fish. i'm sure you're son will do great. the tutorials on youtube are great at demonstrating the process to get up. even with a rope in your hand it's still so much fun!

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Warning, pic heavy.
3rd day of vacation and 2nd day on the lake. Here are pics from the first two trips out of kneeboarding, wake boarding,skiing, tubing, and surfing. I was amazed at how easy surfing seemed to my oldest son, but my youngest didn't seem overly interested in it and struggled to get up. My oldest almost went rope less on the first day as we had 9 people in the boat for ballast. Second day we only had 4 in the boat and it drastically cut down on the size of the wave. My youngest is having a hard time flipping the board down with his heels at take off, possibly too big for his size/weight? More pics to follow once we get home and I have time to go thru them. We also have some gopro video once I get time to do some editing. image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
And the surfing pics..
image.jpg
image.jpg
He started getting cocky wanting to try some tricks and it caught up with him.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Looks like they are having a lot of fun. My kids aren't daring enough to do a wakeboard yet (they've seen their dad crash and burn too many times) but I'm hoping to do a tandem wakesurf with my hyperlite landlock soon.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Craig it looks like the kids were having a ton of fun!

2 questions for you.
1. How were you towing 2 tubes at the same time? Were they both hooked up to the ski hook? If so was there any issue with the tubes running into each other?
2. Did you get a chance to try surfing?

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Craig it looks like the kids were having a ton of fun!

2 questions for you.
1. How were you towing 2 tubes at the same time? Were they both hooked up to the ski hook? If so was there any issue with the tubes running into each other?
2. Did you get a chance to try surfing?
Both tubes were attached to the transom tow point and yes they sometimes run into one another. We put two ropes together the exact same size and I would only sling them hard if the tubes were already together, if not then mild turns until the tubes were together.

Sadly no, I didn't get to try surfing. Nobody in our group is familiar with jetboat operation so I was afraid to take the chance. If I let my wife drive, I would probably have been run over "accidentally":dead: once I went down and they circled to pick me up. I kept telling her to watch the ropes when we would circle the downed tuber,surfer,etc and I think it upset her.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Craig I've not tried surfing yet for the same reason, I had a competent driver last week but we spent to much time letting the kids go and it got dark!

In one of the pictures you son has the rope wrapped around his hand, not telling you what to do but I try not to let the kids do that in case they fall and a body part gets caught in a not, I debated over a wake surf rope because "what do I need one of those for, I can get by with a wakeboard or tube rope" but I'm glad I bought it, it's only about 20' long and I could and did shorten it to about 12' because we surf right behind the boat and it has a small handles (some surf ropes use a "T" for a handle or don't have anything but a large ball knot", If you don't want to get one you could shorten the rope a the tow point and let the extra hang there instead of in the water.

keep having fun, it's what it's all about!

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Craig @Scottintexas What we do with the wakesurf is really easy and makes sure no one ever gets caught up in the rope if they fall. once they are up....they start moving towards the wake; moving up the rope a bit...at the same time someone in the boat starts bringing in the slack onto the swim deck so the surfer is ultimately always on the end of the wakesurf rope and there is nothing to get wrapped around if they fall. that method works really well. here's a pic to show you.
image.jpg

Craig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Craig I've not tried surfing yet for the same reason, I had a competent driver last week but we spent to much time letting the kids go and it got dark!

In one of the pictures you son has the rope wrapped around his hand, not telling you what to do but I try not to let the kids do that in case they fall and a body part gets caught in a not, I debated over a wake surf rope because "what do I need one of those for, I can get by with a wakeboard or tube rope" but I'm glad I bought it, it's only about 20' long and I could and did shorten it to about 12' because we surf right behind the boat and it has a small handles (some surf ropes use a "T" for a handle or don't have anything but a large ball knot", If you don't want to get one you could shorten the rope a the tow point and let the extra hang there instead of in the water.

keep having fun, it's what it's all about!
I completely agree with your point, I kept telling him not to wrap the rope around his hand and to not drape it between his legs. The rope in the picture is a liquid force wake surf rope with large knots and foam handles at different lengths.