• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

quick charging question

Geiger41

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
so my battery tender has been charging my radio/amp battery and it has been 24 hours.. the light is still red implicating charging...and the charger is warm. . is this normal

How warm? And the obvious..you do have a good connection? Was your battery dead? What is the Amperage of your tender?

Warm not hot. Connections look good. Battery not dead. Just sitting around outside in the cold for a month. I have the battery tender plus

That model Battery Tender puts out 1.25 amps. May take a while to top off a big battery. Especially if it's down a bit.

I'd go with something that can put out at least 10 amps if you have one.

Last edited:
Any recommendations ? Then I can use the tender during the winter.
Yes, if that battery is in good shape the Battery Tender Plus will ultimately bring it to full charge. They are great little smart chargers. Once it is topped off the tender will maintain it just fine, but if you should drain it significantly it will take a while to bring it back up.
I pull my batteries from the boat while in storage and use a similar smart charger to maintain the battery. If they are drained at all I use a Schumacher Speed charger. It is a 100/30/12/2 Amp charger. I have two of them, they are great.

If you plan on charging while on the water, a marine grade charger is your best bet. Guest makes some great ones.

so my battery tender has been charging my radio/amp battery and it has been 24 hours.. the light is still red implicating charging...and the charger is warm. . is this normal

If you have a standard group 24 battery, and it is empty down to 10 volts, with a 1 amp charger it could take two full days to top off.
If the battery has a bad cell for example, it will never take a full charge, but will continue to heat the battery and work the charger. After a reasonable period, remove the charger and disconnect the battery so it is in isolation. Give it 30+ minutes to fully dissipate the higher charger voltage. Measure the voltage. Let the battery sit in isolation for a couple of days. The self discharge should be minor....perhaps 1/10th of a volt. If it drops by 2 volts for example, then you know you have a problematic battery.
A battery tender is great for a battery that is placed into storage with a full charge, ie; tractor, weekend car, motorcycle, ATV/UTV, etc. It's a maintenance charger and not the correct charger for batteries that are repetitively deeply discharged, say down to 11.8 volts and placed into storage with less than a full charge. For true deep depletion applications you need a higher amperage smart charger to correctly condition the battery.
The right charger is based on a combination of battery capacity and usage. One size does not fit all.

Last year I started using a 1.5 amp solar charger for keeping my battery up while at the slip. Worked great.. Bought a second for my other battery. Kept my batteries up all winter.. Cost is under $30ea. I'm happy to start off the season fully charged.now if only the weather and my schedule would sync..

This thread proves a positive example of why you install a QUALITY On-Board Charger ...... that is also designed to do proper battery maintenance.
The cost is born out in spades over a period of time, in 1) Allowing batteries to last longer ....... and 2) Making sure YOU do not lose any quality boating time to due to a dead battery.
My suggestion is ALWAYS going to be the Minn Kota 220D for a lot of good reasons.
It is worth its weight in gold.
Good Luck - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

I'm not married to any particular brand of battery charger nor is it about what I personally own. There are plenty that will do the job with precision.
Intelli-Power, C-Tek, Xantrex, ProTech/ProMariner, Quest, Dual Pro, etc., and many others not mentioned. If a dealer who sells tournament bass boats has used it long term and they are satisfied then it's a good product.
What is more important is that you get a Smart, multi-stage, 2-bank charger with an amperage capacity that fits your unique combination of battery reserves and typical depth of discharge. One size does not fit all.
I would recommend a solar charger but ONLY with a management module. Keep in mind that this is purely maintenance supply method and doesn't have the current delivery and intelligence to properly condition your battery(s).

I left the marine radio on in my boat last week and it killed both batteries. I have a 10 amp charger, but cut it back to 2amp output as slow charging seems to work best. It took about 24 hours at 2 amps to fully charge both batteries.

Hello There!

The 1.25 amp will eventually get the batteries up, but they are not really "Smart Chargers". Waterproof chargers will also get warm and hot. Hot enough that you could touch, but would not want to keep your hand on them.

If you are still looking for a waterproof charger, 2 bank, please let me know. I am a new vendor to the forum and have many 8-12 amp chargers in the $50-$75 range at ChargerGuy.com

Thanks!
Jason

Back