• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Quick question....

HawkTX

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally pulled the trigger on a slip and had a quick question. The boat will be in the water for about a week before the hydrohoist boat lift gets installed. I have power at the dock so will be plugging in the battery tender and leaving the bilge pump on. Anything else I need to do during this time?

Uh...make sure the transom drain plug is in!!! And remove the clean out plugs. Some guys take them out of the boat.

Make sure the bilge pump actually works!

Uh...make sure the transom drain plug is in!!! And remove the clean out plugs. Some guys take them out of the boat.
Gotcha. So it is ok to remove the clean out plugs while it is in the water? I actually wondered about that.

I have always dried stored. This is my first slip. Hopefully my questions won't be too NEWB oriented. HA!!!!

Have at least four ropes to tie off the corners, more is always better. And I would suggest tying the corners fairly tight where nothing hits, but the boat can move slightly with wave action. A lot of people use their bumpers but you will end up with a lot of scuffing action.

Gotcha. So it is ok to remove the clean out plugs while it is in the water? I actually wondered about that.

It is fine to remove the clean out plugs while in the water.

Plugs out is fine in the water. I have mine at Lakeview marina on lewisville. If you have any other questions let me know. Also, I don't take the plugs out every time. Typical weekend I will snap them in on Friday when we go out in the evening..if I know we are going out Saturday or Sunday I leave them snapped in. Same goes for Saturday, if I know I'm coming out Sunday I leave them in. I also only hot sauce the boat on the final day. I usually just do a wipe down the other days and save the sauce for the last day.

If you have spiders real bad, do a spray around your slip with demon wp. Mix 2 packets with 1 gallon of water. Usually one application a season is enough.

Awesome! Great info. This is actually a slip/dockominium and the prior owner took really good care of it. I didn't see a single spider web, but this is great info for future use. I appreciate it.

I have been drooling over dockominiums for a while now! Congrats!

@HawkTX , if you do get any spiders, LAs Totally Awesome will
Met te spider crap effortlessly! Spray, let sit for 30 seconds or so, wipe off! You can wipe with a wet rag it sponge after if you want to rinse the awesome off a little. Great stuff. We get grasshoppers at home real bad. And they leave brown tobacco juice stuff all over windows and doorframes. It removes it without scrubbing!

Awesome! Great info. This is actually a slip/dockominium and the prior owner took really good care of it. I didn't see a single spider web, but this is great info for future use. I appreciate it.
Is this the one at Highport on Texoma? I saw one listed for about 30k earlier this summer. Congrats, wherever it is! That's awesome!

Tom,

Please tell me this is at Highport so I can pick your brain! We are seriously considering one of these...

It's at Grandpappy Point on Texoma. You get so much more for your money there. The cheapest one we saw that we liked at Highport was $178K. That was a lot to spend when you only own the improvement. We went looking last weekend. The cheapest they had at Highport was $124k but you had to lease two slips at $600 a month each. That helped me make my mind up quick. Ha!

Last edited:
Why would you take/leave the cleanout plug(s) out with the boat in the water (theft)? I get that they need to be pulled (cleaned) for maintenance, but with them in, it's one more failsafe to keep water out of the bilge.

Water will not get in your bilge by pulling the clean out plugs. And plugs left in, especially when the boat is continuously wet, will swell and cause problems sooner rather than later. But they will all need something eventually. Yes, some guys remove them based on level of security at their marinas. Highport or grandpuppy, I doubt you are much of a target.

Some guys will put a nerf football in each clean out tube to block varmints from nesting or entering. But water intrusion is not a concern.

I said failsafe. Water shouldn't get into the bilge with the cleanout plug removed, but with the cleanout plug removed the water level in the tube rises above where the top of the cleanout plug would be. I agree the risk is minimal. It would require a failure of the bottom clamp #10, or the tube itself, which I don't think anyone has ever reported.

It's better to extend the life of your plug and remove them at the end of the day, but if something like a plug blowout happened, I'd think twice about leaving them out at the end of the day.

Image.gif

Have at least four ropes to tie off the corners, more is always better. And I would suggest tying the corners fairly tight where nothing hits, but the boat can move slightly with wave action. A lot of people use their bumpers but you will end up with a lot of scuffing action.

I concur with this. My first year with a slip. I tie 4 lines if I am close by, but if leaving it for awhile I do 6. The boat can wallow around in a slip with only 4 lines if somebody rolls a wake into your slip

Water will not get in your bilge by pulling the clean out plugs. And plugs left in, especially when the boat is continuously wet, will swell and cause problems sooner rather than later. But they will all need something eventually. Yes, some guys remove them based on level of security at their marinas. Highport or grandpuppy, I doubt you are much of a target.

Some guys will put a nerf football in each clean out tube to block varmints from nesting or entering. But water intrusion is not a concern.

Thanks for the clarification. I will be at Grandpappy Point and the security seems really good. I just got clarification that my lift will go in about 5 to 6 days after I take possession so that is not too bad.

I said failsafe. Water shouldn't get into the bilge with the cleanout plug removed, but with the cleanout plug removed the water level in the tube rises above where the top of the cleanout plug would be. I agree the risk is minimal. It would require a failure of the bottom clamp #10, or the tube itself, which I don't think anyone has ever reported.

It's better to extend the life of your plug and remove them at the end of the day, but if something like a plug blowout happened, I'd think twice about leaving them out at the end of the day.

View attachment 7865

Even the dealers are recommending they come out now for wet slipping. We debated the water rising up the tubes because I was seeing it with my 225 lb self on the swim platform to look down the hole. Without anyone on the swim platform the water stays lower in the tubes.

Back