• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Quick question....

Now this is just my opinion, but I think all the fuss over plugs is much ado over nuthin'.

I leave them in all the time. Sometimes I'll yank them to let water drain out after a big day of water sports, sometimes I don't. But I always put them back in.

Sure, I'll clean them once in a while, but I don't obsess over them. They are 11 years old at a minimum. They still work just fine.

Maybe I'll take a gander at them next time out....maybe I won't. I'm convinced that the one time I blew one plug was due to my error in replacing it, not the design, nothing but me rushing to put the plug back in after cleaning out some debris. From that time forward I always take a moment to make sure they are seated properly and I've been just dandy ever since. :cool:

My plugs wedged in after 3 seasons and had to be disassembled in the tube so I could break up the bottom half to get it out.

Now this is just my opinion, but I think all the fuss over plugs is much ado over nuthin'.

I leave them in all the time. Sometimes I'll yank them to let water drain out after a big day of water sports, sometimes I don't. But I always put them back in.

Sure, I'll clean them once in a while, but I don't obsess over them. They are 11 years old at a minimum. They still work just fine.

Maybe I'll take a gander at them next time out....maybe I won't. I'm convinced that the one time I blew one plug was due to my error in replacing it, not the design, nothing but me rushing to put the plug back in after cleaning out some debris. From that time forward I always take a moment to make sure they are seated properly and I've been just dandy ever since. :cool:
I agree...with one exception. I always pull them to drain after an outing, then I may or may not put them back in.

Leaving in or out doesn't make much difference IMHO. BUT leaving standing water on top of the plugs can lead to big problems. That's what leads to swelling, corrosion, and water getting inside the plugs.

I agree...with one exception. I always pull them to drain after an outing, then I may or may not put them back in.

Leaving in or out doesn't make much difference IMHO. BUT leaving standing water on top of the plugs can lead to big problems. That's what leads to swelling, corrosion, and water getting inside the plugs.
I never left standing water on my plugs. Maybe this is a wet slip trailer boat thing. My boat sits in the water all season.

Oh yeah?

ron_burgundy.jpg

Ron Burgundy says different!

I never left standing water on my plugs. Maybe this is a wet slip trailer boat thing. My boat sits in the water all season.
Ooops, yeah I should have clarified my statement. I was referring to boats being store out of (or above on a lift) the water. The water that gets on top of the plugs stays there even when the boat is removed from the water and this water should be drained.

Leaving the whole boat in the water for extended periods brings a whole lot more concerns than just the cleanout plugs.

Yes, honestly, if your not there to look, water isn't even outside the aluminum neck and seat, well below the rubber tube and clamp. Hard to see this if your on the swim deck because your weight does push it down. I have had leaks I couldn't identify that only caused the bilge pump to run when we were on te swim deck. Finally figured out it was the transducer cable thru hull hole that is normally not in the water...except when your on the swim deck!

I would say this falls under that old proverb, " an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of......... Something". He'll I can't remember. But you get what I'm saying.

I have had 3 blowouts, all stopped by the EZ Locks...but the plugs were indeed unlocked and would have blown. I ain't no rookie, and I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, that there is more to a plug beginning to give you issues with installing it, than there is operator error. Yes, you can install them and not get them seated well enough. But when a plug starts to swell, or it gets dirty and corroded (the seat too), then it won't fit, no matter what you do, short of cleaning it thoroughly. Some of you guys normal care probably takes care of that, but everyone is different in terms of their level of care. My boat is immaculate all the time, and so are my plugs...but they still swelled and had to be repaired to work. I am glad that they plugs don't give everybody issues! Happy as hell for you. But just because some don't have any problems that they can identify, is not reason to discount countless others that do have problems with them. I have pulled these plugs apart and rebuilt them 3 times, including once replacing the gaskets and lower halves. There is a HUGE difference between a plug that seats easily and one that doesn't. How can the fact that one doesn't, when it is clean, be operator error? Again, I am tickled pink that some have zero issues...others have had nightmares because of plugs...$10,000 nightmares. And granted, lack of understanding is probably the main reason that it cost them big, but that is why were here. To help that understanding be improved, and so they don't have issues like that.

Back