• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Raising and lowering anti-pooling poles

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After some research, it seems it is okay (and sometimes recommended) to trailer with the cover on, as long as the anti-pooling poles are lowered. What's the easiest way to raise and lower the poles before/after trailering? Is there a trick to get under the cover? The boat is still new to me, so maybe this is something that will just take time to get accustomed to. But right now, it takes me some time and persuasion to get that cover on and off - even if it's just to peel a little back so I can slide in to adjust the poles.

Monterro

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I used to just pull the straps from the poles with the cover on. I do the front first then when I pull the back the poles fall over. Tuck the excess straps back in the cover holes. Never had it damage anything doing it this way and save a lot of time from taking the cover off. I also have trailered with the poles up but only for very short distances through the city where I do not generally go over 45MPH.

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hmmm. I did not know this. I've always trailered mine with the cover on and the poles up. I haven't had any problems in the three years that I've been doing this. Why do they recommend lowering the poles?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This whole cover thing keeps going round and round. I bought a new cover two years ago and the manufacturer told me to tow with the cover on the poles need to be extended. The covers are made by Commercial Sewing in Torrington Ct. 860 482-5509

Last edited:

Monterro

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you ever covered without poles you will see the front of the cover being sucked in from the wind blowing against it while driving. If you cover with poles up then all of the stress is on the top of the of the cover. If you do this a lot and for very long distances then I will believe in will start to deteriorate the cover quicker than it would if you would take the poles out.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I tow twice a year 5 hours one way at 70-75mph and have done this for two years and my cover shows absolutely now signs of failure from towing with the poles in place.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I just towed 350 miles with the poles in place, no issues, although that was only a one time tow.

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've towed 250 miles each way about eight times each of the last three summers. Cover on, poles up, no problem. I have the Premium Mooring Cover, and it still looks great!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I tow 1-1/2 hours each way minimum every weekend, and the one time that I did tow with my poles up ( forgot that they were up ) I have an indentation of where the poles were. This is on my brand new cover. To each his own but I always tow with poles down for 4 seasons and my old factory mooring cover made it until last year. That cover was 7 years old.

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for all the input and information. It seems like this is a very debatable topic. For the people who lower their poles, do you have a quick trick to getting in and out under the cover to raise/lower them? I'd imagine the only way is to release the ratcheting straps and peel a little back and dive in. What's easier - accessing from the front or back? Or just try them both and find one I like? I've been going in from the front because I made a little step near the winch on the trailer. But the cover is sometimes a little stubborn to peel off and on - perhaps this is because it's getting cooler outside.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I go in from the back of the cover. The cover will get easier over time to remove and it will not be such a big deal.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Poles down

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I always trailer with poles down. The poles are part of the anti pooling system, I don't think much water or snow is going to pool on top of the cover while the boat is on the road and Im not usually towing my boat around in such weather anyway. Plus given the cost I would rather let the vacuum system (vents) do the job of sucking the cover down into the bow and cockpit to keep it from buffeting (and stretching where the poles would be when they are up).

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I tow 1-1/2 hours each way minimum every weekend, and the one time that I did tow with my poles up ( forgot that they were up ) I have an indentation of where the poles were. This is on my brand new cover. To each his own but I always tow with poles down for 4 seasons and my old factory mooring cover made it until last year. That cover was 7 years old.
Same here. I ran them once, and only once, and now ive got 2 indents. I left them out this weekend cuz it wasnt supposed to rain. WTF Knoxville. No water on back but a big pool in front. So i put them back in even though weather is hit and miss. Will it rain, wont it. who freakin knows anymore, lol.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've done both with and without poles. Heavy rain on the interstate will pool water in the bow and it WILL drip through to the bow carpet. Poles in on the interstate and you'll leave indentions in the cover where the poles are. There isn't really a "win" there IMO. I'll take some water in the bow over potential damage to an expensive cover.

I do somewhat of a "hybrid" setup. I leave the straps for the poles in place, and the poles removed. Water still pools and drips when it rains, but you can see where the straps are providing SOME level of support for the cover in the bow. Straps just fold up in the cover when I take it off at the destination. Poles are only ever installed if it will sit outside overnight.

OH YEAH......Don't forget the pool noddle over the windshield to prevent the windshield from rubbing through the cover on long trips. Cheap insurance. My shipping cover finally gave up (after two seasons of heavy towing) where it went over the windshield.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Forget the poles altogether. Better, easier. Need 2 for our boats. 1 front, 1 back.

S1LV3R4D0

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Forget the poles altogether. Better, easier. Need 2 for our boats. 1 front, 1 back.
Yeah i looked into that when swatski got his but i just cant bring myself to cut 2 holes in my new cover, lolol. Ill probably add that system during the winter along with my other laundry list of stuff to do.

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I haven't towed with mine, as my boat lives on a lift. I don't see why you couldn't however. I guess it would depend on where you stand with the "poles up" or "poles down" debate. You would either leave the ropes hanging from the tower as is, or remove/loosen them.