• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rear anchor

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you set the fluke? That is, tie it off, give it the right rode, then pull forward until it catches? Then throw the box out?

Devildog

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you set the fluke? That is, tie it off, give it the right rode, then pull forward until it catches? Then throw the box out?
No. I usually throw out the box anchor off the bow first and then throw out the Danforth off the stern. I'm always reluctant to throw out the stern anchor first because the engines are still running and I don't want to suck up the line. Do you ever worry about this?

Or maybe I should thrown the Danforth off the bow......set it and then throw the box anchor off the stern. Thoughts?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As long as you are going forward, very little risk of sucking in a line.

You can throw the box first. But the Danforth requires more scope and some backward action to set it. So if you throw the box, you have to swim or do something to get the Danforth waaaay out there so you are getting the right scope, then pull it in until it sets, then tie it off. I have only done dual anchor a handful of times, but I have always set the Danforth, then dealt with the box.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have a second box anchor folded up but ready to go whenever I need a stern anchor.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use the small for my primary anchor. It would absolutely work as a stern anchor. The baby size has a good chance of working, but I have no experience with it, so I can't guarantee it. The downside is they are expensive. A heavy mushroom anchor would likely work very well. The box anchor is already pretty heavy, so the mushroom would save you some dough with limited downside.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My box anchors are both small and one of them was designed by Mel / @txav8r so it will fit in the mounts of the 230 series anchor locker. The custom made anchor does not fold up so I use it as my primary.

I think a baby box would work fine as a stern anchor. Other types of anchors may work also but I don't want to hope that it works or spend time setting a stern anchor. The box anchors allow me to set it and forget it on the first try.

I was fortunate to get a box anchor with my used boat and a discount on a used custom made box anchor since the retail value for two small box anchors is over $300, yes they are expensive but in my experience, so far, they are worth every penny.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I couldn't agree more @Ronnie , except that a shore spike is not much more effort than a rear box anchor, and much more versatile. Admittedly, you have to get it out, hammer it in, attach and tie off a line. Rarely do I get my boat where I wanted it the first time. But we all like to fool with out boats! Anyway, with a shore spike, it isn't much longer than getting out a box anchor for the stern, tossing it, and tying off too. But if I had felt I had room for another small box back there and wouldn't step on it, and it would hold on dry shore when necessary, it would have been a good choice too. I don't think a baby box would provide enough hold with wind and waves on the side of the boat, when those conditions are present. The small or shore spike can hold more I am certain.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No disagreement @txav8r . I just bought a second shore spike and prefer to use two when I beach the boat but both are useless in deep water like the OP @Kevin M described. In those situations, i box it.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I keep a 17 pound Danforth style anchor on board as my primary when I am on Lake Michigan or other bigger water. I keep a 25 pound Richter as my inland lake main anchor and it serves as my stern anchor in smaller waters. Between the two, I have most every different bottom type covered.

Truthfully, the Richter is up to the task 90+% of the time. Worth consideration, cost is <$100.