• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rear noise

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
When flushing the engine today I noticed what sounds like a rattle when I give the boat a little shot of gas. Could this be normal?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
flush it with some Pepto Bismal that should quiet the rear noise

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yep its normal. Sound like a bunch of ball bearing rattling around?

Bruggar709

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
what is the cause and is there a way to eliminate it? Sounds like the back of boat is falling apart.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did the boat sit for a while? As they sit the pump liner swells from dissimilar metal corrosion if you look in the pump liner there will be hot spots in the liner usually dark spots this is where the liner is swollen and contacting the impeller , If you use the boat it keeps it worn down but when they sit it comes back and if it sits too long it can even lock up the pump . But when running in the water you don't even notice it . https://jetboaters.net/threads/low-budget-fix-for-yamaha-pump-liner-swelling-issue.12121/#post-259021

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've had two Yamaha's jet boats and when flushing (on the trailor) the engines are a rattle box, but on the water no rattle. It does suck cause when I am at the house doing maintenance/cleaning i want the eng to sounds strong like my old Searay with a 4.3l did and it made me feel like a cool guy in frt of the neighbors 😎These eng I don't feel as cool. One time my neighbor was out when I was flushing the Yamaha and he said is your eng running right 😬 500 hrs total on both Yamahas. Go on YouTube and see if your eng sounds like the "how to flush yamaha" videos.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
you can change out the metal rings to nylon rings I only use those now 1659443822475.png I get them at sbtontheweb.com you change out the housing and then in the future you only have to change the nylon ring if it gets damaged I put a lot of hours on those with great results.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what is the cause and is there a way to eliminate it? Sounds like the back of boat is falling apart.
It's the stainless wear ring and the stainless impeller rattling around. No water pressure in the pump to keep it seated, and there are small clearances in both parts.

Sounds terrible, but is perfectly normal on the trailer.