• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rebuild?

YamahaDave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
Hey guys, new to the forums and I'm just wanting to know how can you tell if motor needs over haul and what the costs would be? 2002 lx2000. THANKS!

3 green tornados

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Why do you think you might need to rebuild one or both motors?
What rpm and what speeds are you seeing? How much weight is on the boat? How old is your fuel? what altitude are you running at?and are your impellers original with the stock pitch?
Check your oil, is it milky?
check spark plugs, are they silvery or black or grey?
Check compression, all cylinders should be within about 10%. I think those motors run around 110, but I could be very wrong.

we need lots more information because of the number of things that could be causing any number of items.

YamahaDave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
hey, I'm just curious on what to look out for really... but also I'm running around 3600-3700 rpms, I will be changing out all spark plugs tomorrow and fuel filters to see if that will make a difference in RPMs.

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's about half what you should be getting. Mine is in the shop waiting on a SBT rebuild to come. Probably going to be about 2 months. The tell tale is compression test on all cylinders. I thought I heard a while back 130 psi new but I'm not sure. I had 1 motor let go 2 seasons ago and the other just went 4th of July weekend.

YamahaDave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
That's about half what you should be getting. Mine is in the shop waiting on a SBT rebuild to come. Probably going to be about 2 months. The tell tale is compression test on all cylinders. I thought I heard a while back 130 psi new but I'm not sure. I had 1 motor let go 2 seasons ago and the other just went 4th of July weekend.
how much is a rebuild on one of these?

YamahaDave

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
also where are fuel filters located? I'm going to try to change plugs and filters

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sbt out of Florida rebuilds them for about $1600 but you have to send them your core 1st. 8 week turn around appx. Filters are in back mounted to the firewall.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
hey, I'm just curious on what to look out for really... but also I'm running around 3600-3700 rpms, I will be changing out all spark plugs tomorrow and fuel filters to see if that will make a difference in RPMs.
As was said that’s about half max rpm. If the tachs were replaced then they might not be set to the correct settings. There are a couple of adjustments on the back of them.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
how much is a rebuild on one of these?
If you are handy it can be done for 500-1000ish in parts gaskets and machine work. Depending on what needs fixing.

Don’t buy an SBT rebuild.

Jeep7797

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pwcengine out of New York is an option too buy I've never heard anything from that.