• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rebuilt MR1 - low oil light, hard to start, oil/gas in exhaust

aabausti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is a rebuilt mr1 engine from a local dealer in an 05 sx230. After breaking it in, I kept getting the low oil light and the dealer told me to top it off with oil, which I did a few times and went through a quart. After that, the low oil light kept coming on but there was plenty of oil on the stick. Then, after we would be out running around for a while that motor would barely start and RPMs were jumping around. I then noticed this in my grass where it was running. Any ideas what this might be? Thanks in advance
8B7FFF4D-E355-43A7-87E0-027C3842F4D2.jpeg2190DE69-A582-4EAB-BC59-E12FEE8A3932.jpeg

cybuch

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is it a deal rebuild or a new motor from SBT? If SBT, this is a known issue with their MR1 motors, far out of spec. I went through 4 over 2 years (had to pull and install myself) before I got one that would actually hold oil pressure, still low, but high enough to run WOT.

aabausti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is it a deal rebuild or a new motor from SBT? If SBT, this is a known issue with their MR1 motors, far out of spec. I went through 4 over 2 years (had to pull and install myself) before I got one that would actually hold oil pressure, still low, but high enough to run WOT.
Dealer said it was a rebuild, never mentioned SBT

aabausti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dealer said it was a rebuild, never mentioned SBT
It is currently at the dealer since the motor is under warranty. This was more for my curiosity. The last I heard from them is that they were putting a new oil pump in? No clue.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How expensive was the rebuild?

aabausti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How expensive was the rebuild?
Lucky for me, I have no clue. They discovered issues with the motor after we put a deposit on it and we had to wait a month while they rebuilt it before we could pick it up. My friend is owner of the dealership and said they did every major engine component, rods rings pistons etc

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These engines have such tight tolerances that rebuilds seem to be difficult to last. Granted we only see stories about ones that have issues and not people that have no issues. Knock on wood, if I had an MR1 engine that was blown I would find a good donor ski before rebuild.

aabausti

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For anyone who cares to know, the dealer put in a new oil pump and two new ECUs and the problems are all gone. When trying to find the problem, they replaced all the plugs, injectors and coils too.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For anyone who cares to know, the dealer put in a new oil pump and two new ECUs and the problems are all gone. When trying to find the problem, they replaced all the plugs, injectors and coils too.
Seems the two would be unrelated, but glad you got if up and running!

kjr6306

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No offense but replacing an oil pump and ecu's does not explain how oil was getting into your exhaust......