• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Recommendations for breaking in my new boat engines.

Hugh Janus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve obviously read the manual but am curious to see whether you keep revs constant (more than 10 minutes at a time) or fluctuate often?

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Hugh my $.02 worth ! These 1.8 Yamaha engines are very durable and there is no need to "baby" them. I too read the owners manual completely before first launch but the thing they don't tell you in the manual is that your boat (and all of them) was water tested , on the lake,at the plant in Tn. before ever being shipped to your dealer. Probably for more than 10 minutes and most likely at higher RPMs than you will run during break-in ? I think you will be fine after going thru the 3 no wake settings and maybe even using that time to practice your handling skills especially in reverse. Good Luck , enjoy , and relish the moment.

Hugh Janus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Hugh my $.02 worth ! These 1.8 Yamaha engines are very durable and there is no need to "baby" them. I too read the owners manual completely before first launch but the thing they don't tell you in the manual is that your boat (and all of them) was water tested , on the lake,at the plant in Tn. before ever being shipped to your dealer. Probably for more than 10 minutes and most likely at higher RPMs than you will run during break-in ? I think you will be fine after going thru the 3 no wake settings and maybe even using that time to practice your handling skills especially in reverse. Good Luck , enjoy , and relish the moment.
Thanks for the feedback. I suspected this was the case but wasn’t sure. Common sense is the key, I’m sure.....

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I've bought 2 new boats, including my 212X, and I didn't abide by the break-in guidelines on either boat. I work for an auto manufacturer and get 2 new cars every year for my wife and I as part of my benefits package and I have never followed any type of break-in guidelines for them either. As WildCatFan stated, cars and boats have been tested at the plants and test driven by potential buyers before we ever get them in our garage and I've never heard of a new engine blowing up in any of these scenarios. Hell, every vehicle that comes out of our manufacturing plant is floored on our test tracks before they are shipped to the dealers. I can also tell you that people that move the vehicles around during distribution aren't easy on them either. Never a problem!

Just enjoy your new boat! I know I am.:winkingthumbsup"

Hugh Janus

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I've bought 2 new boats, including my 212X, and I didn't abide by the break-in guidelines on either boat. I work for an auto manufacturer and get 2 new cars every year for my wife and I as part of my benefits package and I have never followed any type of break-in guidelines for them either. As WildCatFan stated, cars and boats have been tested at the plants and test driven by potential buyers before we ever get them in our garage and I've never heard of a new engine blowing up in any of these scenarios. Hell, every vehicle that comes out of our manufacturing plant is floored on our test tracks before they are shipped to the dealers. I can also tell you that people that move the vehicles around during distribution aren't easy on them either. Never a problem!

Just enjoy your new boat! I know I am.:winkingthumbsup"
Thanks for that. I can’t wait to get out so making sure I have all bases covered!