• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Redundant Tachs?

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The long winter has my mind running down all kinds of what ifs. Just wondering in the interest of freeing up the entire dash for other things if anyone has considered getting rid of the analog tachometers? Seems that with the read out on the Connext that they are somewhat redundant. Looking for a list of reasons why you would NOT get rid of them to see if anything in that list matters to me. Is there anyone out there that has thought "I'm sure glad Yamaha put those analog tachometers there because __________" ?

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't even use mine. I have my GPS mounted on the steering column just in front of them.

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If there is a solar flare which causes an electromagnetic field that results in your electronics to take a shyt and die...your analog instruments are all that will save you while trying to escape from the impending zombie apocalypse via jet boat to a safe island....

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The tachs are an integral part of the Canbus network on the boat. You could move them to inside the helm but they must be connected. This stems from the Yamaha slapping Connext 1.0 on top of the existing platform when the tachs had a digital display. Moving to N2k radio Canbus for 2018 Connext 2.0 boats likely allowed them to dump the tachs which were involved with both the radio canbus and the nmea 0183 canbus.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
The tachs are an integral part of the Canbus network on the boat. You could move them to inside the helm but they must be connected. This stems from the Yamaha slapping Connext 1.0 on top of the existing platform when the tachs had a digital display. Moving to N2k radio Canbus for 2018 Connext 2.0 boats likely allowed them to dump the tachs which were involved with both the radio canbus and the nmea 0183 canbus.
Thanks, good to know.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So the 2018’s can now be connected to a external gps and display engine functions?
I know kinda redundant since gps is now built in.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So the 2018’s can now be connected to a external gps and display engine functions?
I know kinda redundant since gps is now built in.
I don’t know on that. My guess is they kept the same ecu and protocols so that would still be a no.