• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Reinstalling oil pump on LS2000.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
We bought an LS2000 in early June that was converted from oil pump to premix. This causes excessive smoke at lower idles. I am not a great boat mechanic. Any advice on reinstalling the oil pump would be greatly appreciated.

Keep it pre-mix. Although the original oil pumps NEVER failed, many switched to pre-mix because of the oil line issue. However, your Ls will smoke like a chimney at low idles even with an oil pump. Believe me I had an LS for years. Great mosquito killer but don't waste your time putting it back in. Plus you will never have to worry about popping an oil line and blowing an engine, s peaking from personal experience lol. by the way, NEVER BUY AN SBT ENGINE! PURE GARBAGE. (I had to get that prop in!)

Hey OCMD, many thanks for taking time to help a person you don't even know. Did these engines smoke this much when new?

First, that's what this site is for - helping others. Second, the site that this site emerged from, has a wealth of two stroke knowledge on it. Unlike that other site, this site will not ban me for sending you there. But it does have alot more two stroke knowledge on it.

Here is the link:

When I got my LS, it had 3 years on it. And it just smoked at low idle. The LS was made to be run wide open throttle. Then there is no smoke issue!

I miss that 19 foot rocket!

I agree with OCMD about leaving it the way it is. I have a ‘97 Exciter, the PO upgraded the pumps to the variable ratio style and it still smokes at lower speeds.

My Brother, does it still smoke just as much or less?

My guess is pre mix may smoke a bit more because of the ratio of the mix not being exact. IMO however, in your case it is better to leave well enough alone and keep the pre mix set up. At least you won't burn out the engine because it was oil starved.

Hey Brother, many thanks for your time. The failure of the oil pump system is credited to failure of the fuel lines and not pump failure. I have no problem replacing them as often as needed when they dry out and shrink. I may be wrong but I want to try it. I will certainly tell the club of the results next March. Again , many thanks.

As I said, the pumps don't fail. And once you replace the oil lines and secure them, you are good. Just ensure they are about a foot longer than you need, so when they bounce about tearing up and down the water, there is some "give" in the lines.

Back