• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Relocation of Stereo deck and installation of Fishfinder / Chartplotter

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
For a year or so, I have been trying to think of a way to install a fishfinder/chartplotter and have it look as factory as possible. I was leaning towards the sonarphone by vexillar, which I had thought would be nice as it wouldn't add anything additional to the dash, as you view it on your iphone. However, in viewing and researching the Lowrance Elite HDI units, the quality of instrument is really not comparable. By the way, my boat is a 2010 Yamaha 212X.

So here is my thought, and I would to solicit some advice to see if I would regret it...

1) Buy a bluetooth RCA dongle for music playback so I no longer need the white tray on the port side of the helm. With bluetooth through iphone, I should still have ability to control volume and mute when needed.

2) Buy a new deck (the factory one is not that great and I almost replaced it last year anyway). I think it would have to be a bit larger if I used the original hole from the white iPod Tray, or I could install it elsewhere. I do have a a set of switches that may be a similar size to cover the hole.

3) Install a Lowrance Elite-7 HDI where the current deck is. I haven't retrieved my boat from storage yet, but it looks like the area would be really close in accommodating the size of the Elite-7. I think the viewing angle would be okay as it appears that part of the helm is slightly angled upward.

First off... am i crazy? I don't think its actually that much work as provided there is enough wiring for the deck, moving it should be quite simple. I guess the biggest question is would I miss the control being right under my hand. I can also think of benefits of it being more accessible to the passengers though. Anyway, just let me know your random thoughts!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am unfamiliar with the dash layout on your boat. But I like the idea. I was about to mount a Raymarine Dragonfly above the dash. I may look and see if I could make the same swap.

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here is the dash layout currently... looking at this picture, other option would be a Elite-4 where the warning sticker is. It would be low enough that it could blend in, but its also a fraction of the screen size.
dash layout.JPG

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If you hit rough or busy water and are using your graph to navigate you may not want to look down to use it.

My plan is to modify the factory mount of my Dragonfly by removing the mounting base (it is too tall) and attaching a ram mount ball to the back of the mount. Then attach a ram mount ball to the right side of the top of the dash. Then I will find the right length extension to use between the two. This should allow me to position it where I want and at the angle I want on the right side near the "a pillar".

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here is an interesting option. I have a perfect pass ready to install, so I still am checking to see if it tracks both RPM's, otherwise this is a brand new product, I don't believe its even available yet as in crutchfield it states that it is available for preorder.marine digital receiver for standard dash.JPG

upperdeck

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Perfect Pass tracks one rpm, and mirrors the other engine off the one it actually tracks.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fusion makes a quality marine stereo. I have a MS-IP600 in my boat and a MS-WR600 remote on the swim deck. I use a MS-BT100 Bluetooth module to play music from our iPhones. iPhones and iPods prior to version 5 can be inserted inside the MS-IP600 and controlled from the head unit or remote control. You can install multiple remote controls. The remote control allows for all or almost all of the functionality of the head unit.

So you could install the head unit anywhere you want and install one of these within reach of the driver seat

Jump Right In

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bruce , that is a good thought about using the remote as the control by the helm. I would how much work it would be to install it where the warning sicker is on the right hand side of the helm (above the throttle). My swim deck remote went bad last year so I need to replace that one anyway. I guess I could get a head unit and a pair of remotes. I need to pick up my boat this week and see how big the area is where the current stereo is (i know standard measurements are 2"x7" and it looks like there is space on all four sides). I just don't like the thought of permanently changing something from the factory in case I ever want to go back to the oem look.