• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Remove MR1 Drive Coupling

Robb235

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Need help figuring out how to remove the drive coupling from the 160hp MR1 HO. I have the flywheel held in place, and have torched the drive coupler to heat it up. When looking at the motor from the rear, I’m trying to turn the drive coupling counter-clockwise, since I know it’s not reverse threads. I can get it to budge. Tried hammering on the end of my breaker bar, still no luck.

Any ideas?

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Before you do, it would be a good time to check the coupling clearance. If the drive shaft and intermediate shaft are not aligned properly, you may need to add or remove shims. Why are you removing it?

Robb235

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a pair of these motors that I’m retrofitting into an XR1800 jetboat. The XR drive couplers are shorter than the MR1 ones. I’m limited in front-to-back engine space, so the shorter drive coupler is important.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does this help at all? This is for a SX230HO. Left hand threaded, right?

Attachments

Last edited:

Robb235

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does this help at all? This is for a SX230HO.
Unfortunately, not really. I have the service manual and read that section.

I don’t think it’s possible for it to be reverse (left hand) threads. When looking at the motor from the rear, the drive coupling spins CCW when running. This means the resistance of the impeller in the water is applying a force in the CW direction. Therefore CW on the drive coupling tightens it, CCW on the coupling loosens it. Plus, the threads on the XR drive coupling were standard (not reverse) threads. I learned the hard way on the motor 2-stroke GP1200R/XR1800 motor because I went into it thinking it was reverse threads. It wasn’t.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your absolutely right. Impact wrench?

Last edited: