• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removed fiberglass panel over cleanout ports

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ez lock, then you will never have a blow out. Once was enough for me.

Hector

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Have the dealer check behind the rear bumper(skirting). I had same issue with water coming in and bilge cycling. It turned out to be a crappy seal job behind the skirting where the upper and lower hulls sandwich together.

It’s a well documented issue.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
*****UPDATE*****
I had 2 posts for this issue and provided updates in the other thread a couple weeks ago already, but, for closure, I'll provide the same update here as well.

Dealer identified the issues as:
(1) Rub rail along the back of the boat wasn't sealed at all. He removed it and sealed all screws when he reinstalled it.
(2) Both exhaust ports were "gushing" water. He replaced both seals and said issue should be resolved now.

Now, if I can just get some decent weather, I'll take the boat back out on the lake and confirm effectiveness of countermeasures.

Summers420us

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Exactly what Julian said. It's mostly the water coming up over the rear deck on decel. Sealing that cover is vital though, the stock "seal" is worthless. Heck, half the screws in mine were stripped out when I got the boat brand new. I replaced all the screws with stainless nuts and bolts, and also cleaned all the silicone sealer off and replace it with a rubber seal. My rear compartment went from always having water in it to being darn near dry on most times out just by making sure that cleanout panel is sealed properly. I actually also screwed down the little access cover since it falls off half the time anyway. Anyone that's getting too much water in their bilge or rear compartment should make sure that panel and access cover is totally sealed.

You can see the seal in this pic...

View attachment 68619
I see that your exhaust is rapped with something with foil on it. Was that a factory thing or a mod?

If mod, I assume to try and cut noise... was it helpful?

heloskick

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
*****UPDATE*****
I had 2 posts for this issue and provided updates in the other thread a couple weeks ago already, but, for closure, I'll provide the same update here as well.

Dealer identified the issues as:
(1) Rub rail along the back of the boat wasn't sealed at all. He removed it and sealed all screws when he reinstalled it.
(2) Both exhaust ports were "gushing" water. He replaced both seals and said issue should be resolved now.

Now, if I can just get some decent weather, I'll take the boat back out on the lake and confirm effectiveness of countermeasures.

Hi there,

Do you by chance have a picture of the seals that were replaced on the exhaust port or a picture of the area? I believe I have the same issue. I have a 2002 LX. I know its not the rub rail and I was under the assumption that water was leaking around the plugs, over the clean out tray, and into the bilge. I have been chasing this leak for a while now and I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Tim

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
View attachment 68629 View attachment 68630
I have the same issue, with a dog that has to go swimming every time we go out. Water in the back compartment every time.
I added 1/4" thick x 3/4" wide neoprene foam with adhesive one side to the under side of the screwed down access cover. I also added 8 more screws to hold it down. It sure seems like it will work, but I haven't tested it yet.
Did you remove the silicone that was there or just ad the PVC weather stripping?

JRob

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Discovered another couple through hull fittings to check if you have leaks. One is the other end of the cleanout tray drain hose....a white plastic through hull. Below is a pick of mine, cracked. My scupper drain and this one are now stainless! I’ll be adding a second hard wired bilge soon and will change out the rest of the plastic through hulls on the side to stainless.
15331419-9CF3-4CC6-9093-86B8618D7189.jpeg
The other leak I had was the starboard engine coolant drain which is a black through hull on underside of swim deck by the jet pump. Port was nice and tight against the hull, starboard swiveled like it was siliconed but not tightened good. I found it when doing service checking all the hose clamps.