• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing completely stuck clean out plugs with a piece of driftwood or 2x4 and a ratchet strap.

finnrigged

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is just something I'll carry on my boat from now on. A 2x4 that will bridge across left to right over the opening for the cleanup plug and a ratchet strap vacuum sealed in a bag to keep it from rusting over the years. This was my first experience with a jet boat and I really had no idea what I was doing except that I needed to get those clean out plugs removed according to a friend of mine. I got lucky with this technique and it seemed like something that everyone would be easily capable of having on board just in case of an emergency. This is probably been brought up as a technique over and over again but I'm kind of new to the form so I thought I'd make a video since I was struggling through the process myself.

Believe it or not we've actually seen worse plugs but yours definitely get an honorable mention,

I always remove my plugs when not on the water and they always slide in/out easily

I'm brand new to these boats so thanks for the info. I watched a bunch of videos on them for maintenance and that came up. Do you spray yours down with any silicone spray or just lay them on their side in the compartment and be done with it?

this is brute force, unless im parting my boat for parts, I will never do this. Just maintain your clean out plug, remove when not in the water, spray with silicone oil or whatever lubricant you think is appropriate for you. I never have mine stucked or even hard to pull, it pulls the same since i picked it up from the dealer.

for 14 years I just pull them when I get off the ramp and lay them in the tray,

once I went to a lake house with a dock, after 3 days of being in the water I tried them and they were stuck, I did the ice trick and they came out, the rest of the week I pulled the plugs when I was done for the day, the boat floats higher than the cleanout tray so as long as the black tube doesn't leak there's not a problem ( I did leave the bilge pump on over night though ).

some members put a silicone or pool pump solution on them, I never have, I think it's really important to start with a clean/smoot tube that the dogs can lock into,

consider some cobra ez locks, it guarantees they won't blow, it's cheap insurance, and he's a member here,
Cobra EZ-Locks

for 14 years I just pull them when I get off the ramp and lay them in the tray,

once I went to a lake house with a dock, after 3 days of being in the water I tried them and they were stuck, I did the ice trick and they came out, the rest of the week I pulled the plugs when I was done for the day, the boat floats higher than the cleanout tray so as long as the black tube doesn't leak there's not a problem ( I did leave the bilge pump on over night though ).

some members put a silicone or pool pump solution on them, I never have, I think it's really important to start with a clean/smoot tube that the dogs can lock into,

consider some cobra ez locks, it guarantees they won't blow, it's cheap insurance, and he's a member here,
Cobra EZ-Locks

Here are a couple videos for understanding the ezlocks
and
Cobra EZ-Locks

Just bought the plug rebuild kits, Cobra locks, Cobra super ultra steering fins, 2 new reverse cables and 2 steering cables. I have 1 more Waverunner SUV to finish building and then 3 MR1 FX high Output motors to rebuild assembly line style and then I'll finally get the boat put back together.

Back