• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing impeller from shaft - stuck

Jfutty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Folks. I've been looking at some great posts that helped me to take apart the housing and shaft on my 210 AR 2016. I have a new impeller that I would like to replace the old one with but having a super tough time taking it off. I even bought the solas wr007h and have put the whole housing in a wood vice. When I look at the new impeller I see a couple of smal cavities which make me wonder if I need to remove all the bearings and so on to un screw something from the other side. I really want to avoid that if possible.
Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The small cavities were drilled to balance the impeller. That is a new feature.

The standard method is to place the spline tool in a very strong vice then use a wrench with a cheater bar on the impeller.

A year ago I was able to remove one factory impeller using a 1/2" impact on the spline tool and wrench against the concrete floor on the impeller. I had to use the vice trick on the other.

This year I changed the impellers and both came off using the impact.

Jfutty

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the reply. I am assuming the impeller is counterclockwise to the shaft like a nut would be on the bolt.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jfutty
Impeller is left handed thread, opposite of what you are use to.
Update your information on the left, maybe someone near you can help.
I have had 2 bad experiences with removing impellers
1. threads got gouged and had to replace shaft, yes while removing impeller
2. Stuck, and cut impeller off in a parking lot using a 5" milwaukee cordless grinder, and thin cutoff wheel. extreme but can be done
I have posts regarding both of these exciting moments.

Put never-sieze on the threads when you reassemble. Always. Yamaha manual lists using locktight thread sealant. my opinion wrong, that was how my threads were gouged. So make sure you use never-seize.

Also, I cant see your picture

ehostin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello. I've used this thread and others (and a so-so service manual) to rebuild my 2010 yamaha ar210 jet pump after replacing the impeller housing which was rubbing against the impeller. A repair shop had overcharged me to do it on the other sized last season (and took the whole season to do it!) and I decided to do the 2nd side this year.

OK, here's my question:

Do I do anything special at the insertion of the drive shaft of the jet pump into the intermediate housing? Other than grease on the spindles of the driveshaft when I removed the unit, I saw nothing else. Clearly the little dowels for alignment and gasketmaker at the interface between the impeller housing and the impeller duct. The manual also recommends loctite for the long bolts which connect the duct to the housing.

Any guidance with regard to the driveshaft spindle end and it's connection back to the engine ("power unit") would greatly help. Everything I have found is mainly all about how to remove the jet pump. There are a few on how to disassemble and one on how to rebuild. However, I found nothing on how to put it all back together.

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The manual also recommends loctite for the long bolts which connect the duct to the housing.
That product is a thread sealant, not a thread locker.

Any guidance with regard to the driveshaft spindle end and it's connection back to the engine ("power unit") would greatly help.
The splines should be lubricated with a moly grease. I could not obtain the Yamaha product so I am using a Honda branded moly grease.

You simply push the pump back into the housing and the shaft into the bearing and seal. The splines will have to magically line up. You can not see them so if they are not aligned rotate the impeller a little and try again.

ehostin

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you. That's what it seemed like upon removing it, but wanted to make sure. It would seem that water could easily get into that junction. What kind of seal exists at that junction?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you. That's what it seemed like upon removing it, but wanted to make sure. It would seem that water could easily get into that junction. What kind of seal exists at that junction?
It's called intermediate bearing housing, where the actual bearing is sealed.
You can pump some grease into the housing, too much grease can blow a housing seal though, apparently.

--