• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing safety stickers, safely

Matt Wetzel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Good day all,

I have decals with the name of my boat but I need to remove some of the safety stickers on the back deck to apply the boat name.

Question is, how can this be done without gouging the gel coat OR spending an inordinate amount of time?

Thanks ahead of time for the advice!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of my favorite tools for that is a brown plastic Pampered Chef scraper (Shhhhhhh don’t tell my wife). Once you get an edge up, they pull off easily.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Although officially, nobody does this.;)The stickers peel off when heat is applied. Some have found that a hot sunny day will help loosen them up for removal. Others have used a hair dryer on high. I used a heat gun on low on a 40 deg. day and they came right off.
20170509_135006_001.jpg20170604_173219.jpgand below, the one i should have saved.

Attachments

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Gentle heat gun action makes it a breeze.
Clean up with acetone, windex, citrus goopoff, or similar and microfiber towel.

--

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I removed several of them off of my swim platform area with no issues at all during the summer. However there is a product out there once you peel the decal off that 3M makes it's an adhesive remover comes in a spray can you can get it at most auto parts stores it is rather expensive I believe about $20 a can but it works very well.

Frank Marshall

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Cigarette lighter fluid does not harm surfaces and removes the remaining adhesive very well. I used a single edge razor blade to lift a corner of the label and then peeled it up from there.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine came off pretty easy, used my fingernail to get a corner up and peeled off. I used WD-40 to get the little bit of glue off. I wouldn’t spend a bunch of money on adhesive removers. WD-40 works, window cleaner, acetone works great and I use it quite often since I have a can at home.

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For the stickers your removing just about anything will remove the adhesive. But I will tell you if you run across something that has a very thick adhesive the 3m Adhesive remover is great. I removed a brand name from my last boat and worked at it for days. Tried everything you guys listed to no avail. Than bought the 3M products and solved the problem. Still a lot of work none the less

Last edited:

Matt Wetzel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’ll probably “borrow” one of my wife’s old bow driers and give that a go.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is someone using the eraser wheel..

I cannot put into words how easy it is to use.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow @Beachbummer I've never seen anything like that before.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It is pretty cool. Another member of the forum recommended it to me. I'm a pretty avid tool collector and DIY as much as I can, so I was bummed out on how unknown this tool is, and how long it took for me to become aware of it.

It's really nice for removing glue and stickers and any residue.

Zonie

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Although officially, nobody does this.;)The stickers peel off when heat is applied. Some have found that a hot sunny day will help loosen them up for removal. Others have used a hair dryer on high. I used a heat gun on low on a 40 deg. day and they came right off.
View attachment 66681View attachment 66682and below, the one i should have saved.
Funny! I had to remove that one to put the name on boat so I purchased a replacement and moved it over a few inches. Always good for a laugh when you have someone new on board!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder if time, age and heat makes them harder to remove.

No way I was able to pull a single one of my ex-florida boat after 8 years of use there.

They came off, but not whole.

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That they do. Once baked on they get brittle and come off in small pieces. Makes for an enjoyable afternoon.

Matt Wetzel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Thanks to all who replied. The first time I tries removing the stickers it was cold, even for FL. Finally got around to removing them this weekend and an old hair dryer and some Goo Gone did the trick.