• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing swirls in black gelcoat?

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey yall, I started tackling the task that has plagued my 19 AR195 since I got it.. The pesky water spots on the black gelcoat. I started with just a quarter of the boat using a sponge and was able to remove the water spots but created another problem of fine scratches/swirls left behind from the sponge.

I thought putting a coat of wax/buffing on would fix it right up. It made it slightly better but the scratches are still visible to an extent.

I think I may need some kind of cutting compound or even wet sand the problem area, can anyone reccomend a good compound to use? I have a buddy coming over this weekend with an actual professional buffer but he has only done automobiles and isnt sure what the best thing is for gelcoat.

TIA

You want to start with the least aggressive product -first. Try a Polish and Wax product (a one step) - not a cleaner wax. I would use Griot's Garage One Step with a random orbital buffer using a medium cut pad (Griot's color is orange). Go to their website, and watch the video. I have used Griot's One Step to brighten my hull, and it will remove marks and superficial scratches. Take your time, and inspect your work as you go. The other plus is that your hull will also be waxed (synthetic wax) when you are done.

Most car compounds won't do much with gelcoat. Unless they're VERY superficial. I'd look for marine specific compounds, pads, and polishes. It takes much more cut to remove swirls from gelcoat.

So to update this thread I ended up getting a bottle of 3M Perfect It Gelcoat cutting compound (Medium) and a medium cut foam pad for a DA polisher. It did not 100 percent remove the fine scratches in the section of that the sponge scratched but it does look tremendously better. They aren't noticeable unless you are looking from just the right angle.

I also ended up using the medium cut all the way around on the water spots, it was not a fast process at all but it did work to remove them. I buffed it and then applied a coat of carnauba wax and did a final polish with a wool pad. It took about 6 hours but the boat looks brand new. The process even removed a couple of scuffs on the gelcoat from wakeboards.

I hope now that its got a good coat of wax on it that it will stay looking good with minimal effort for the season.

To prevent future swirls, I recommend cleaning with a marine spot remover and a quality detailing towel, something waffle weave. I use Mequiar’s Extreme Marine Water Spot Detailer. Start with a normal wash to remove solids that might scratch, and then follow up with the spot detailer. Do it regularly.

Back