• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Chip in Gelcoat, best repair?

bigd1634

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
So I have a 2021 195S. I have had it for just over a month and 2 days ago a tree limb came down next to the boat. :mad:🤬🤬🤬 Most of it missed the boat but the end of the branch clipped the side of the boat and put some rubs/scratches that will come out with some buffing. A chunk of the branch hit the trailer and bottom lip of the side of the boat causing a fingernail size nick in the gelcoat. Looking for ideas to the best repair solution. would gelcoat be best or this from Amazon---https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014419V0/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A10C0LUOI8ICDK&psc=1 I have used thi sin the past on a 20 year old SeaRay and it was ok, but this is different since it is new. All Ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Picture is attached for reference but it is only the size of a finger nail.

Attachments

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Spectrum gelcoat is what Yamaha uses and many on the forum have used it with great results including myself. Order it from www.iboats.com. They have color charts for each year to make sure it’s an exact match.

jetblueWI

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll second the Spectrum Gel Coat Patch Paste recommendation -- also purchased it from www.iboats.com. I recently patched a similar sized chip with it on my SX190 and was very pleased with the process. Pretty simple to sand/polish by hand and the color match was great (sky blue).

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Third on Spectrum. Just finished three chunks on my boat. Polished them out this weekend. Looks really good.

Inlikeflinn

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Anyone know where to get touch up paint for the towers?

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Found a small chip yesterday waxing the boat. Looked up what everyone is recommending. Was going to purchase, but it says shelf life is only 6 months, so down the road if I get another one, I’ll have to keep purchasing this product. How much of a problem is this? It’s smaller than my pinky nail, I put a little dab of clear silicone on it for now. Should I be worried about his little chip? My first boat. Thanks in advance!

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pictures help in this scenario to determine severity.

As for silicone, my understanding is you don’t want to use it on fiberglass where you will later need to repair it. The silicone oils can make it difficult for other items to adhere appropriately.

Here’s a little background.

Might want to consider 3M 4000/4200 or a similar product (not 5200).

DonJohnsMusic

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Thanks. I appreciate you letting me know, super small spot, so I guess that is the good news. I will look into this other product.