• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replace wear ring and Impeller?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Doubtful that this is the cause. The wear ring is in good shape. Impeller looks good too. Hard to tell about the gap between the impeller and the ring in this pic, but all around it looks ok. I don't think that this is your issue.

Joatmon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I have found a loss of speed and power this summer. Wondering if replacing wear ring and impeller will help?
Could be but try something first. Pump rebuilding is expensive. I had the same issue and thought the same as you. I had the pumps rebuilt and speed didn't improve much. Change your spark plugs. They are cheap and surprisingly do not last very long on these engines. You may see a difference.

Scarab16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
Could be but try something first. Pump rebuilding is expensive. I had the same issue and thought the same as you. I had the pumps rebuilt and speed didn't improve much. Change your spark plugs. They are cheap and surprisingly do not last very long on these engines. You may see a difference.
Thanks. I have changed plugs twice. Had to put new spark plug tubes in. I have changed the oil as well and a new supercharger also. The speed/power loss seems to have started when dealer changed the supercharger. I will probably just put in a new wear ring and impeller anyways.

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
With a new ware ring and new impeller is it normal to have some ware ring shavings on first run

Joatmon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
Should not but…. I mean the impeller did not rub the wear ring before I reinstalled pump. There is a close tolerance but unless a bearing is sloppy the impeller should not be shaving the wear ring. Debris passing through the pump will cause shavings and grooves in the wear ring. Also may depend on the wear ring used. An aftermarket may have a smaller internal diameter or may be slightly be out of round. I’m sure others will chime in.

piper84

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Im using a Titan after market assy

Joatmon

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 SE
Boat Length
I’m not familiar with that brand. If your ring is slightly too small or out of round the impeller will shave it round.