• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replaced factory stereo: Need accessory switched power

Steven Douglass

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello fellow jetboaters!

Yesterday I carefully removed (and kept) the factory JBL stereo, replacing it with a nice Pioneer media tuner. The factory stereo wiring acc (red) and constant (yellow) wires are hot all the time so the media tuner does not power down as you'd expect when it's "off", so this will inevitably lead to unwanted battery drainage if I leave it as-is.

In a perfect world I'd tie into one of the main engine switches so when the key is in the "On" position I'd get switched power and when I shut down for the day and take the key out the stereo powers off properly (like in a car). However, I think a main engine switch in the "on" position will cause unwanted battery drain with the ignition circuits being powered. Plus if this was a good idea I suspect Yamaha would have tied the factory stereo into it, which it seems they did not.

Any recommendations on where I can tie in to switched power?

As a fallback I can install a hidden toggle switch under the dash for switched stereo power but I'd like to avoid doing this if I can.

Thanks all.

Last edited:

Steven Douglass

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Decided to go with removing the face of the stereo to power it down at the end of the day. No new switches added.

xtreme96gs

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello fellow jetboaters!

Yesterday I carefully removed (and kept) the factory JBL stereo, replacing it with a nice Pioneer media tuner. The factory stereo wiring acc (red) and constant (yellow) wires are hot all the time so the media tuner does not power down as you'd expect when it's "off", so this will inevitably lead to unwanted battery drainage if I leave it as-is.

In a perfect world I'd tie into one of the main engine switches so when the key is in the "On" position I'd get switched power and when I shut down for the day and take the key out the stereo powers off properly (like in a car). However, I think a main engine switch in the "on" position will cause unwanted battery drain with the ignition circuits being powered. Plus if this was a good idea I suspect Yamaha would have tied the factory stereo into it, which it seems they did not.

Any recommendations on where I can tie in to switched power?

As a fallback I can install a hidden toggle switch under the dash for switched stereo power but I'd like to avoid doing this if I can.

Thanks all.
yellow with red stripe coming from the back of the ignition switch?